Advice on a great self study book. PDE

In summary, a good self-study book would be one that goes into detail on the topics, is readable, and is not too dense.
vuser88
Advice on a "great" self study book. PDE

Hello, for the first time this summer i won't be taking ( at least i hope so) any classes. That will give me a lot of free time to do as i please. i will be a senior in college and i still have to take pde's. The prof that teaches the course, at least from what i hear, is a maniac, he makes the class impossible and the highest grade he gives out is a C.

i definitely do not want a C, but also would like to learn the material. I am in need of a great self study book. A book that goes thru everything in detailed steps.

Some previous books that i thought were good self study books were div grad curl ( i hope that the correct order), apps of quantum mechanics by Zettili, calculus an intuitive approach by Morris Kline.

Thank you for any input.

Also i would like to note that i have already purchased the shaums outline on Fourier analysis and pde's, they are good, but not great for self study.

Physics news on Phys.org

Try the Xerox College book by H F Weinberger

A first Course in Partial Differential Equations.

(For the analytical stuff)

&

The Oxford University book by G D Smith

Numerical Solution of Partial Diffrential Equations

(for the numerical stuff.)

Note Once you have understood the basics, PDEs are usually solved numerically in the real world.

Finally

Partial Differential Equations of Applied Mathematics

By E Zauderer

is more meaty, but still readable for self study, but too much for a summer course.

I thought Evans is the golden standard.

Last edited by a moderator:

a first reading self study summer course
Well, it's pretty much impossible to guess what topics his teacher will treat, and at what level. The only thing he said was "I will be a senior in college" but I am not sure what that means (I am not really familiar with the American college system).

But Evans might be a little too much for self-study, as it has so many pages.

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE, or partial differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of an unknown function. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How can a self study book help me learn PDEs?

A good self study book on PDEs will provide clear explanations, examples, and practice problems to help you understand and apply the concepts. It can also provide a structured and organized approach to learning the material.

3. What should I look for in a self study book on PDEs?

When choosing a self study book on PDEs, look for one that has a strong foundation in theory, balances theory with practical applications, and includes plenty of exercises and solutions for practice. It should also be written in a clear and accessible language.

4. How long will it take to learn PDEs with a self study book?

The time it takes to learn PDEs with a self study book will vary depending on your prior knowledge and the complexity of the material. However, with consistent study and practice, you can expect to have a solid understanding of PDEs within a few months.

5. Are there any additional resources I should use in conjunction with a self study book on PDEs?

While a self study book can provide a comprehensive overview of PDEs, it can also be helpful to supplement your learning with online resources, video lectures, and practice problems from other sources. Additionally, seeking guidance from a tutor or joining a study group can also enhance your understanding of PDEs.