Register to reply

Advice on a great self study book. PDE

by vuser88
Tags: books
Share this thread:
vuser88
Feb14-11, 03:25 PM
P: 14
Hello, for the first time this summer i wont be taking ( at least i hope so) any classes. That will give me a lot of free time to do as i please. i will be a senior in college and i still have to take pde's. The prof that teaches the course, at least from what i hear, is a maniac, he makes the class impossible and the highest grade he gives out is a C.

i definitely do not want a C, but also would like to learn the material. Im in need of a great self study book. A book that goes thru everything in detailed steps.

Some previous books that i thought were good self study books were div grad curl ( i hope that the correct order), apps of quantum mechanics by Zettili, calculus an intuitive approach by Morris Kline.

Thank you for any input.

Also i would like to note that i have already purchased the shaums outline on Fourier analysis and pde's, they are good, but not great for self study.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Studiot
Feb14-11, 04:01 PM
P: 5,462
Try the Xerox College book by H F Weinberger

A first Course in Partial Differential Equations.

(For the analytical stuff)

&

The Oxford University book by G D Smith

Numerical Solution of Partial Diffrential Equations

(for the numerical stuff.)

Note Once you have understood the basics, PDEs are usually solved numerically in the real world.

Finally

Partial Differential Equations of Applied Mathematics

By E Zauderer

is more meaty, but still readable for self study, but too much for a summer course.
Landau
Feb17-11, 01:55 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 905
I thought Evans is the golden standard.

Studiot
Feb17-11, 02:25 PM
P: 5,462
Advice on a great self study book. PDE

Evans, reference?

http://www.amazon.com/Partial-Differ.../dp/0821807722

(Graduate studies in ) Partial Differential Equations.

Would you really recommend this for a first reading self study summer course?
Landau
Feb17-11, 02:33 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 905
a first reading self study summer course
Well, it's pretty much impossible to guess what topics his teacher will treat, and at what level. The only thing he said was "I will be a senior in college" but I am not sure what that means (I am not really familiar with the American college system).

But Evans might be a little too much for self-study, as it has so many pages.

Register to reply