Homonuclear diatomic molecules spectrum

In summary, the conversation discusses the quantum number r and its relation to the total angular momentum in diatomic homonuclear molecules. It is noted that only odd or even values are allowed for r, and the selection rules for r require a change of one unity. However, if the molecule only has odd values for r, then transitions will require at least r --> r+2, which is not allowed. The speaker suggests considering higher order transitions or Raman scattering, which allows for r --> r+2 only if there is an intermediate allowed state. It is also mentioned that the state of the molecule is specified by not only the value of r, but also electronic, vibrational, and nuclear spin quantum numbers. Therefore, although r can
eoghan
Hi there!
I'm studying that if r is the quantum number associated with the total angular momentum of a diatomic homonuclear molecule, then only odd or even values are allowed for r.
Now, the selection rules for r requires a change of one unity, but if my molecule has only odd values for r, then every transition will require at least r --> r+2, and this is not allowed.
So, how can I have a rotational spectrum?
Maybe I have to consider transitions of higher order of approximation than the electric dipole ones? Or should I consider Raman scattering? But I'm reading that Raman scattering allows r --> r+2 if and only if there is an intermediate allowed state for which r-->r+1.

Physics news on Phys.org
The state of the molecule is specified not only by the value of r but also of the electronic and vibrational quantum numbers and also of the nuclear spin eigenstates (ortho and para hydrogen). While it is true that for state with fixed values of these other quantum numbers r can either only be even or odd, whether one or the other alternative applies depends on the value of the other quantum number. E.g. in H2 if r is even in the electronic ground state, it will be odd in the first excited state with the same total nuclear spin. So a transition to the electronically excited state with |Delta r|=1 is possible.

Thanks

What is a homonuclear diatomic molecule?

A homonuclear diatomic molecule is a molecule made up of two atoms of the same element. Examples include O2, N2, and H2.

What is a spectrum?

A spectrum is a range of colors or wavelengths of electromagnetic radiation. In the context of homonuclear diatomic molecules, it refers to the specific wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted by the molecule.

How is the spectrum of a homonuclear diatomic molecule produced?

The spectrum of a homonuclear diatomic molecule is produced when the molecule is exposed to energy, such as heat or light. The energy causes the electrons in the molecule to move to higher energy levels, and when they return to their original energy levels, they emit or absorb specific wavelengths of light, producing a spectrum.

What information can be obtained from the spectrum of a homonuclear diatomic molecule?

The spectrum of a homonuclear diatomic molecule can provide information about the energy levels and bonding in the molecule. It can also be used to identify and differentiate between different molecules.

How is the spectrum of a homonuclear diatomic molecule analyzed?

The spectrum of a homonuclear diatomic molecule is typically analyzed using spectroscopy techniques, which involve passing light through the sample and measuring the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or emitted. This information can then be used to identify the molecule and its properties.