Register to reply

Name the following organic molecule (IUPAC)

by PAR
Tags: iupac, molecule, organic
Share this thread:
PAR
Mar4-11, 04:05 PM
P: 30
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Name the following (organic) molecule:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Would this be 3-pentene? The root has to be "pent" because that's the longest carbon chain, right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Apple to unveil 'iWatch' on September 9
NASA deep-space rocket, SLS, to launch in 2018
Study examines 13,000-year-old nanodiamonds from multiple locations across three continents
Slats18
Mar4-11, 06:47 PM
P: 47
3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)

Here's my hint: try starting off at the double bond, and work your way up. What do you get now?
PAR
Mar4-11, 07:03 PM
P: 30
Quote Quote by Slats18 View Post
3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)
Makes sense, so is it 2-ethyl-1-butene? Does the fact that it contains a double bond take priority over the longest carbon chain?

Slats18
Mar4-11, 07:12 PM
P: 47
Name the following organic molecule (IUPAC)

That's what I believe it to be =) Been over a year since I've done this, but I think it does for convience, as its just a C=C double bond. Different when it's a C=O double bond, as you could call it 3-pentanone. Either way, I think it's just easier to call it 2-ethyl-1-butene =)
Borek
Mar5-11, 03:00 AM
Admin
P: 23,573
IUPAC name is 3-methylidenepentane.

Register to reply