Name the following organic molecule (IUPAC)

by PAR
Tags: iupac, molecule, organic
PAR
Mar4-11, 04:05 PM
P: 30
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Name the following (organic) molecule:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Would this be 3-pentene? The root has to be "pent" because that's the longest carbon chain, right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Slats18
Mar4-11, 06:47 PM
P: 47
3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)

Here's my hint: try starting off at the double bond, and work your way up. What do you get now?
PAR
Mar4-11, 07:03 PM
P: 30
Quote Quote by Slats18 View Post
3-pentene would actually be 2-pentene, and it would look something like this (excluding H's)

C-C=C-C-C or C-C-C=C-C

I see what you were trying to get at, but when you say 3-pentene, you're saying there is a 5 carbon chain that is the longest (correct) AND that there is a double bond connecting the 3rd and 4th carbon atoms =)
Makes sense, so is it 2-ethyl-1-butene? Does the fact that it contains a double bond take priority over the longest carbon chain?

Slats18
Mar4-11, 07:12 PM
P: 47

Name the following organic molecule (IUPAC)

That's what I believe it to be =) Been over a year since I've done this, but I think it does for convience, as its just a C=C double bond. Different when it's a C=O double bond, as you could call it 3-pentanone. Either way, I think it's just easier to call it 2-ethyl-1-butene =)
Borek
Mar5-11, 03:00 AM
Admin
P: 22,704
IUPAC name is 3-methylidenepentane.

Register to reply