IUPAC NAME for CH3CH2C(CH3)2CH(CH2CH3)CH3

• Thread starter aatari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iupac
In summary, the IUPAC name for CH3CH2C(CH3)2CH(CH2CH3)CH3 is 3-methyl-4,4-dimethylhexane. However, when expanding the condensed formula and counting the longest carbon chain, it may seem like it should be named 3,3,4-trimethylhexane. This could be due to a misunderstanding of the CH2CH3 part, as it would result in a hexane structure.
aatari
I don't understand why CH3CH2C(CH3)2CH(CH2CH3)CH3 is 2 ethyl-3,3 dimethyl - pentane and not 3-methyl-4,4-dimethylhexane. When I expand the condensed formula above and count the longest carbon chain, it seem it is a hexane rather than pentane. Can someone please clarify?

Homework Statement

Write the IUPAC name for CH3CH2C(CH3)2CH(CH2CH3)CH3.

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

3-methyl-4,4-dimethylhexane

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless I misunderstand the CH2CH3 part, you are right with the hexane part:

CH3 - CH2 - C(CH3)2 - CH(CH2CH3) - CH3

Although I would have expected, 3,3,4-trimethyl-hexane. Here it is.

Last edited:

1. What is the IUPAC name for CH3CH2C(CH3)2CH(CH2CH3)CH3?

The IUPAC name for CH3CH2C(CH3)2CH(CH2CH3)CH3 is 3-ethyl-2,3-dimethylheptane.

2. How do you determine the IUPAC name for a compound?

To determine the IUPAC name for a compound, you must first identify the longest continuous carbon chain in the molecule. Then, you must number the carbon atoms in the chain to give the substituents the lowest possible numbers. Finally, you must name the substituents and place them in alphabetical order before the parent chain name.

3. What is the purpose of using the IUPAC naming system?

The IUPAC naming system is used to provide a standardized and systematic way of naming chemical compounds. It allows scientists to communicate and identify specific compounds accurately and efficiently.

4. Are there any exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the IUPAC naming rules, particularly for complex molecules. In these cases, the common or trivial name may be used instead of the systematic name.

5. Can the IUPAC name for a compound change depending on its structure?

Yes, the IUPAC name for a compound can change depending on its structure. For example, if the same compound has different functional groups or different branching patterns, it will have different IUPAC names.