IUPAC Naming of 3-Bromo Phenyl Chloro Ketone

In summary, the IUPAC name for 3-Bromo Phenyl Chloro Ketone is 3-bromobenzoyl chloride. The parent chain in IUPAC naming of 3-Bromo Phenyl Chloro Ketone is determined by the longest continuous carbon chain containing the functional group, and in this case, it is the benzene ring with a ketone group attached. The substituents in IUPAC naming serve to specify the position and type of functional groups or other atoms attached to the parent chain, and in this case, they are the bromo and chloro groups. The substituents are named according to the number of carbon atoms in the parent chain, with the bromo and chloro groups
Sunwoo Bae
Homework Statement
Drawing the following structure
Relevant Equations
none
1612579303973.png

The following structure was given, and I have to name the compound.
My guess is that the compound is called 3-bromo phenyl chloro ketone, but I am not sure.
Can you tell me if my answer is correct, and also tell me how to tackle the IUPAC naming for this compound?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not a ketone. The R and R' substituents of a ketone (image attached) are carbon-containing groups. This is an acyl chloride (aka. acid chloride) hence the -yl suffix.

Attachments

• 1612595282738.png
    1612595282738.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 144

1. What is the IUPAC Naming System?

The IUPAC Naming System, or International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry Naming System, is a set of rules used to systematically name chemical compounds based on their structure and composition. It ensures that every compound has a unique and standardized name, making it easier for scientists to communicate about chemicals.

2. What is 3-Bromo Phenyl Chloro Ketone?

3-Bromo Phenyl Chloro Ketone is a chemical compound with the molecular formula C8H6BrClO. It is a ketone, meaning it contains a carbonyl group (C=O), and has a phenyl ring with a bromine and chlorine atom attached to it. It is commonly used in organic synthesis reactions.

3. How is 3-Bromo Phenyl Chloro Ketone named according to IUPAC rules?

According to IUPAC rules, 3-Bromo Phenyl Chloro Ketone is named as follows:

1. Identify the longest continuous chain of carbon atoms that includes the carbonyl group. In this case, it is a chain of 8 carbon atoms, so the root name is "octane".

2. Number the carbon atoms in the chain starting from the end closest to the carbonyl group. In this case, the carbonyl group is on the 3rd carbon atom, so the compound is named as "3-octanone".

3. Add the substituents, in alphabetical order, to the name of the parent chain. In this case, "bromo" comes before "chloro" alphabetically, so the compound is named as "3-bromo-1-chloro-octanone".

4. What is the purpose of using IUPAC Naming?

The purpose of using IUPAC Naming is to have a standardized and systematic way of naming chemical compounds. This allows scientists to easily communicate and identify different compounds, and also helps in understanding their chemical properties and reactions. It also ensures that each compound has a unique name, avoiding confusion and errors.

5. Are there any exceptions to the IUPAC Naming rules?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the IUPAC Naming rules, especially for complex or naturally occurring compounds. In these cases, the traditional or common names may be used instead of the systematic IUPAC names. However, the IUPAC Naming System is still the preferred method for naming compounds in scientific literature and communication.