by fluidistic
Tags: field, free, sources, vector, vortex
Share this thread:
fluidistic
Mar10-11, 04:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,207
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I must determine whether the following vector fields have sources or vortices.
1)[tex]\vec A = (\vec x )\frac{\vec a \times \vec x}{r^3}[/tex] where [tex]\vec a[/tex] is constant and [tex]r=||\vec x||[/tex].
2)[tex]\vec B (\vec x )= \frac{\vec a}{r+ \beta}[/tex] where [tex]\vec a[/tex] and [tex]r[/tex] are the same as part 1) and [tex]\beta >0[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution
I think I must calculate whether the divergences and curls of the fields are worth 0, in which case they are free of source and free of vortex.
I've attempted only part 1) yet (I want to try out part 2 alone once I'm started with part 1).
The modulus of [tex]\vec A (\vec x )[/tex] is worth [tex]\frac{|\vec a | \sin (\theta )}{ |\vec x|^2}[/tex] and I know its direction is orthogonal to both [tex]\vec a[/tex] and [tex]\vec x[/tex].
I know how to calculate the div and curl of a field when I have an explicit expression of it but this is not the case in the exercise, hence my attempt to modify the given expression.
I'd like to know how you'd attempt the problem 1). Thank you.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
vela
Mar11-11, 12:37 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 11,774
Write

[tex]\vec{A}(x) = \vec{a}\times\left(\frac{\vec{x}}{r^3}\right)[/tex]

and then use the vector identity [itex]\nabla \cdot (\vec{x}\times\vec{y}) = \vec{y}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{x}) - \vec{x}\cdot(\nabla\times\vec{y})[/itex].

To evaluate the cross product, you can write out explicitly what the components of [itex]\vec{x}/r^3[/itex] are in terms of x, y, and z and crank out the curl.

Similarly, you should be able to look up an identity for the curl of a cross product and evaluate it the same way.

Register to reply