Calculating Angle Between E-Field and Current Vectors in Anisotropic Mat.

You should also check your values for ##\sigma_0## and ##\sigma_1## to make sure that they are consistent with the given expression for ##\vec j##.
Karl Karlsson
Homework Statement
In a certain anisotropic conductive material, the relationship between the current density ##\vec j## and
the electric field ##\vec E## is given by: ##\vec j = \sigma_0\vec E + \sigma_1\vec n(\vec n\cdot\vec E)## where ##\vec n## is a constant unit vector.

i) Calculate the angle between the vectors ##\vec j## and ##\vec E## if the angle between ##\vec E## and ##\vec n## is α

ii) Now assume that ##\vec n=\vec e_3## and define a coordinate transformation ξ = x, η = y, ζ = γz where γ is a constant. For what value of γ does the conductivity tensor component take the form ##\sigma_{ab} = \bar \sigmaδ_{ab}## and what is the value of the constant ##\bar\sigma## in the new coordinate system?
Relevant Equations
##\vec j = \sigma_0\vec E + \sigma_1\vec n(\vec n\cdot\vec E)##
ξ = x, η = y, ζ = γz
In a certain anisotropic conductive material, the relationship between the current density ##\vec j## and
the electric field ##\vec E## is given by: ##\vec j = \sigma_0\vec E + \sigma_1\vec n(\vec n\cdot\vec E)## where ##\vec n## is a constant unit vector.

i) Calculate the angle between the vectors ##\vec j## and ##\vec E## if the angle between ##\vec E## and ##\vec n## is α

ii) Now assume that ##\vec n=\vec e_3## and define a coordinate transformation ξ = x, η = y, ζ = γz where γ is a constant. For what value of γ does the conductivity tensor component take the form ##\sigma_{ab} = \bar \sigmaδ_{ab}## and what is the value of the constant ##\bar\sigma## in the new coordinate system?My attempt:

I don't really know if I get it into the simplest possible form but i guess one way of solving i) would be:

##\vec E\cdot\vec j = |\vec E|\cdot|\vec j|\cdot cos(\phi)= \sigma_0\vec E^{2} + \sigma_1\vec n\cdot \vec E(\vec n\cdot\vec E) \implies \phi =arccos(\frac {\sigma_0|\vec E^{2}| + \sigma_1\cdot cos(α)\cdot|\vec E|\cdot cos(α)|\cdot|\vec E|} {|\vec E|\cdot|\vec j|})##

Is this the best way to solve this?

On ii) i am completely lost. What do the coordinate transformations mean? x, y and z are not even in the given expression ##\vec j = \sigma_0\vec E + \sigma_1\vec n(\vec n\cdot\vec E)##. I have already found a matrix ##\sigma## that transforms ##\vec E## to ##\vec j##. Do they want me to find eigenvectors and eigenvalues? Why?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your result for part i). For part ii), since you already found the conductivity tensor, you can tell immediately by inspection that the tensor is diagonal with ##\sigma_{xx} = \sigma_{yy}=\sigma_0=\sigma## and ##\sigma_{zz}=\sigma_0 + \sigma_1##. By making the coordinate transformation you are asked to solve,
$$
\begin {pmatrix}
\sigma & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \sigma & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \sigma_0 + \sigma_1 \\
\end {pmatrix}
\begin {pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \gamma \\
\end {pmatrix}
=
\begin {pmatrix}
\sigma & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \sigma & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \sigma \\
\end {pmatrix}
$$

Fred Wright said:
I agree with your result for part i). For part ii), since you already found the conductivity tensor, you can tell immediately by inspection that the tensor is diagonal with ##\sigma_{xx} = \sigma_{yy}=\sigma_0=\sigma## and ##\sigma_{zz}=\sigma_0 + \sigma_1##. By making the coordinate transformation you are asked to solve,
$$
\begin {pmatrix}
\sigma & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \sigma & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \sigma_0 + \sigma_1 \\
\end {pmatrix}
\begin {pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \gamma \\
\end {pmatrix}
=
\begin {pmatrix}
\sigma & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \sigma & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \sigma \\
\end {pmatrix}
$$

Hi Fred!
Are you sure one can't express the answer in i) in any other or simpler way because it feels like my answer for the expression of the angle between ##\vec E## and ##\vec j##Ok! Then I might understand but I would really appreciate verification by someone or comment on what is not correct.

Since ##\vec n## is just ##\vec e_3## i get $$\sigma = \begin{bmatrix}\sigma_0&0&0\\0&\sigma_0&0\\0&0&\sigma_0+1\end{bmatrix}$$.$$\vec E_3(\sigma_0+1)=\sigma_0\cdot\vec E_\zeta$$. I write ##\vec E_\zeta = \gamma\cdot\vec E_3## because of the change of basis matrix
$$\begin {pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \gamma \\
\end {pmatrix}
$$
and therefore ##\gamma=1+1/\sigma_0## and ##\bar\sigma = \sigma_0##. Is this correct?

Karl Karlsson said:
Are you sure one can't express the answer in i) in any other or simpler way because it feels like my answer for the expression of the angle between ##\vec E## and ##\vec j##
You can simplify your expression by substituting an expression for ##|j|##. I suggest,
$$
j\cdot j=(\sigma_0 \vec E + \sigma_1 \hat n (\hat n \cdot \vec E)\cdot (\sigma_0 \vec E + \sigma_1 \hat n (\hat n \cdot \vec E))=(\sigma_0|\vec E | + \sigma_1 (\hat n \cdot \vec E ))^2
$$
$$
|j|=\sigma_0|\vec E | + \sigma_1 (\hat n \cdot \vec E )
$$
Karl Karlsson said:
Ok! Then I might understand but I would really appreciate verification by someone or comment on what is not correct.

Since ##\vec n## is just ##\vec e_3## i get $$\sigma = \begin{bmatrix}\sigma_0&0&0\\0&\sigma_0&0\\0&0&\sigma_0+1\end{bmatrix}$$.
This is wrong. It should be,
$$
\sigma = \begin {pmatrix}
\sigma_0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \sigma_0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & \sigma_0 +\sigma_1 \\
\end {pmatrix}
$$
and therefore ##\gamma = \frac{\sigma_0}{\sigma_0 + \sigma_1}##.

1. What is an anisotropic material?

An anisotropic material is a material that exhibits different properties in different directions. This means that the physical and electrical properties of the material vary depending on the direction in which they are measured.

2. How do you calculate the angle between the electric field and current vectors in anisotropic materials?

To calculate the angle between the electric field and current vectors in anisotropic materials, you can use the equation: θ = tan^-1 (σ/ε), where θ is the angle, σ is the conductivity of the material, and ε is the permittivity of the material.

3. Why is it important to calculate the angle between the electric field and current vectors in anisotropic materials?

It is important to calculate this angle because it helps us understand how the material will behave under different electric and magnetic fields. This information is crucial in designing and predicting the performance of electronic devices and materials.

4. Can the angle between the electric field and current vectors change in anisotropic materials?

Yes, the angle between the electric field and current vectors can change in anisotropic materials. This is because the properties of the material can vary in different directions, resulting in different angles between the vectors.

5. How does the angle between the electric field and current vectors affect the behavior of anisotropic materials?

The angle between the electric field and current vectors can affect the behavior of anisotropic materials in various ways. It can determine the conductivity and resistivity of the material, as well as the direction and strength of the magnetic field. It can also affect the polarization and transmission of light in the material.