How cocaine works on the brain video

In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of dopamine in addictive drugs and the potential risks of cocaine, including its impact on the heart. The poster shared a video to help others and had no specific question. The other person clarified that they were not accusing, just offering additional information.
Biology news on Phys.org
I'm unclear, do you have a question? Dopamine is the general action of addictive drugs from Opiates to stimulants, but cocaine's effects are FAR wider ranging than just dopamine in the brain. Maybe you know that, so I don't want to lecture... but did you have a query?

I saw a good video, I thought that it would help others, so I posted it. But no I had no question, my motivation was to help others.

Forestman said:
I saw a good video, I thought that it would help others, so I posted it. But no I had no question, my motivation was to help others.

OK, I'd just add: cocaine is dangerous for a number of other reasons as well, not the least of which is the risk of an adverse cardiac event. Beyond that, I wasn't accusing, just wondering if you needed info.

Oh okay, well thanks.

1. How does cocaine affect the brain?

Cocaine works by increasing levels of dopamine in the brain, which is a neurotransmitter responsible for feelings of pleasure and reward. This results in a temporary euphoric and energetic feeling, but also disrupts normal brain function.

2. What are the long-term effects of cocaine on the brain?

Long-term use of cocaine can lead to changes in brain structure and function, as well as addiction and other mental health issues. It can also cause damage to blood vessels in the brain, increasing the risk of stroke.

3. How quickly does cocaine affect the brain?

When snorted, cocaine can reach the brain within minutes, leading to an almost immediate high. When injected or smoked, the effects may be even faster.

4. Can cocaine use cause permanent damage to the brain?

Yes, long-term use of cocaine can cause permanent changes to the brain, including damage to brain cells and changes in brain chemistry. This can lead to cognitive impairment, memory loss, and other mental health issues.

5. Is there any way to reverse the effects of cocaine on the brain?

While some damage to the brain caused by cocaine use may be permanent, seeking treatment and abstaining from drug use can help prevent further damage and potentially reverse some of the effects over time.