Sex Differences in Adolescent Brain Development & Depression Risk

In summary, the study found that there are sexual differences in the development of certain parts of the brain and that these differences could be relevant to sex differences in the incidence of depression during adolescence.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here is a study on the sexual differences in development of certain parts of the brain of human adolescents who may become depressed.
I am not an expert on this stuff, so comments would be interesting to me.

https://www.science.org/doi/full/10...edium=email&utm_content=alert&utm_source=sfmc
Sexual differences in human brain development could be relevant to sex differences in the incidence of depression during adolescence. We tested for sex differences in parameters of normative brain network development using fMRI data on N = 298 healthy adolescents, aged 14 to 26 years, each scanned one to three times. Sexually divergent development of functional connectivity was located in the default mode network, limbic cortex, and subcortical nuclei. Females had a more “disruptive” pattern of development, where weak functional connectivity at age 14 became stronger during adolescence. This fMRI-derived map of sexually divergent brain network development was robustly colocated with: i prior loci of reward-related brain activation ii a map of functional dysconnectivity in major depressive disorder (MDD), and iii an adult brain gene transcriptional pattern enriched for genes on the X chromosome, neurodevelopmental genes, and risk genes for MDD. We found normative sexual divergence in adolescent development of a cortico-subcortical brain functional network that is relevant to depression.

So differences in brain development in boys vs. girls appears to be related to brain development at a time in life when depression could more likely arise in females.
This connects phenomena in neurobiology, behavior (pretty much neurobiology anyway at a conceptual level), and psychology and mental health (which involves functions in the internally experienced world of mental phenomena).

Although this is showing a sexual difference (particular details of brain development and the likelihood of developing depression), there are males in pretty much all of the statistical categories. Its only a difference in frequency.
So, don't go all sexist on it.

Nevertheless, there are sexual differences.
Its biological underpinnings and how it plays out remain complex.

By the way, I have no idea if this article is open access (I have a subscription, so I can always get it), but in my opinion, it should be (this is one of my "things").
For several reasons:
  • its most likely paid for my the government and ultimately everyone's taxes
  • it has general interest in the wider public
  • it always good PR to make people (tax payers) happy by giving them something for free.
  • Any charge for making the article open access would be small compared to the cost of the project, or the number of authors, or the number of people who might be interested in it.
It is isn't, complaints should be made to the authors, their funders, and your congress-person(s).

Likes berkeman
Biology news on Phys.org
BillTre said:
By the way, I have no idea if this article is open access (I have a subscription, so I can always get it), but in my opinion, it should be (this is one of my "things").
I'm able to click right into it. Reading it now; thanks Bill.

Sorry, are there fMRI studies showing brain function differences in MDD?

This fMRI-derived map of sexually divergent brain network development was robustly colocated with i prior loci of reward-related brain activation ii a map of functional dysconnectivity in major depressive disorder (MDD)

berkeman said:
Sorry, are there fMRI studies showing brain function differences in MDD?
I think that's what fig. 3 is about:

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 6.47.05 PM.png

• Informative
Likes berkeman
I have to admit that I am less than impressed with a great deal of fMRI and genetic studies in mental health. The claims of various research studies are all over the place, and there are various other issues that can't be ignored.

The first is in the overall reliability of fMRI in psychological studies and what the data collected actually means. fMRI relies on very impressive technology, unlike MRI it attempts to measure brain activity, usually when it is engaged in various tasks. Scans in the normal population are hugely variable so single scans tell us very little and the main differences seen in repeated scans are usually context dependent. This means that 1-3 scans won't tell you much about anything. The next problem is the scans represent the activity seen in an area of the brain (a voxel) these will typically include a large number of neurones, many of which will not be related to the primary questions. Neurones when firing may be involved in activating or inhibiting their target neurones, we don't know which, and the speed of neural activity cannot be matched by the machine. Even more problematic is the fact the neurone function cannot be measured itself, so what is measured is the amount of oxygen used metabolically in that region of tissue. This is a proxy measure, with a time delay, of an average level of activity over a length of time. The machine's sensitivity makes these signals prone to error, and the massive amount of data generated requires extensive filtering by computers. There are lots of other issues but I did wonder if the differences claimed were greater than individual differences, this has been a significant issue in other gender studies.

Of course adolescence is a time of significant change and girls generally start many transitions earlier than boys, these changes occur across the body, not just in the brain. In fact the majority of studies on mood during this period focus on the massive changes in social issues, depression rating scales tend to identify specific issues rather than just mood.

We then drift into the swamp that is the genetics of mental illness, but I'll let you read a few bits, these appear to represent the current consensus on these issues.

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...n-depression/0770B51752F17A5A081F9878B0952608

https://www.ndcn.ox.ac.uk/divisions/fmrib/what-is-fmri/how-is-fmri-used

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33333475/

• Informative
Likes BillTre and berkeman

What are the key sex differences in adolescent brain development?

In adolescent brain development, males and females show different patterns of growth and maturation. Generally, females tend to reach full brain maturation earlier than males, which includes earlier development in areas responsible for language and fine motor skills. Males, on the other hand, may show more robust development in regions involved in spatial navigation and sensorimotor skills. Additionally, hormonal influences such as estrogen and testosterone play significant roles in shaping these developmental trajectories differently for each sex.

How do these brain development differences influence depression risk?

The differences in brain development between sexes can influence emotional processing, stress response, and cognitive functions, which are all linked to depression. For instance, females are generally more prone to develop mood disorders during adolescence, possibly due to earlier maturation of the limbic system, which is heavily involved in emotional regulation. This early maturation may make adolescent females more emotionally reactive and vulnerable to stressors, potentially increasing their risk of depression.

Are there specific brain regions that differ significantly between males and females during adolescence?

Yes, specific brain regions exhibit notable sex differences during adolescence. The amygdala, a region involved in emotional processing, tends to develop earlier in females, while areas like the hippocampus, which plays a role in memory and stress regulation, may show different patterns of connectivity and activity. Additionally, the prefrontal cortex, crucial for decision-making and impulse control, matures at different rates, typically faster in females than in males, which can influence behavioral and emotional regulation differently across sexes.

What role do hormones play in these developmental differences?

Hormones such as estrogen and testosterone are crucial in mediating the development of the adolescent brain and consequently play a significant role in the sex differences observed. Estrogen, which increases significantly during puberty in females, has been shown to influence the development of neural circuits that regulate emotions and cognitive functions. Testosterone, which increases in males, affects areas of the brain involved in aggression, risk-taking, and spatial abilities. These hormonal effects contribute to the differing trajectories in brain maturation and function between males and females.

How can understanding these differences improve interventions for depression in adolescents?

Understanding the sex-specific pathways in brain development and their link to depression can help tailor interventions that are more effective for each sex. For instance, interventions that focus on enhancing emotional regulation might be more beneficial for females, who are generally more susceptible to emotional disturbances during adolescence. For males, strategies that address impulsivity and risk behaviors could be more effective. Additionally, timing interventions to coincide with critical periods of brain development could optimize their effectiveness and potentially prevent the onset of depressive episodes.