Gamma matrices

by countable
Tags: gamma, matrices
countable
Mar19-11, 07:15 AM
P: 13
I'm doing a course which assumes knowledge of Group Theory - unfortunately I don't have very much.

Can someone please explain this statement to me (particularly the bits in bold):

"there is only one non-trivial irreducible representation of the Cliford algebra, up to conjugacy"

FYI The Clifford algebra is just the the relationship between gamma matrices:

[tex][\gamma_\mu,\gamma_\nu]=2\eta_{\nu\mu}[/tex]

where [..] is the anticommutator rather than the commutator
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Bill_K
Mar19-11, 09:49 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,853
The γμ's are initially understood to be abstract objects satisfying the equation you've written. Representation means we assign a matrix to each γμ and interpret the equation as a matrix equation, where the RHS contains the identity matrix I. Conjugacy refers to the fact that for any matrix M, if γμ is a solution then the conjugate set γμ' = M γμ M-1 is also a solution. Irreducible means that the γμ's are not simultaneously block diagonal, nor conjugate to a set that is block diagonal.

Putting that all together, it means that you can write down any set of γ matrices you can think of that solve the equation, and be assured that any other set γ' you might have chosen instead is related to your set by a conjugation.
countable
Mar19-11, 09:32 PM
P: 13
Quote Quote by Bill_K View Post
The γμ's are initially understood to be abstract objects satisfying the equation you've written. Representation means we assign a matrix to each γμ and interpret the equation as a matrix equation, where the RHS contains the identity matrix I. Conjugacy refers to the fact that for any matrix M, if γμ is a solution then the conjugate set γμ' = M γμ M-1 is also a solution. Irreducible means that the γμ's are not simultaneously block diagonal, nor conjugate to a set that is block diagonal.

Putting that all together, it means that you can write down any set of γ matrices you can think of that solve the equation, and be assured that any other set γ' you might have chosen instead is related to your set by a conjugation.
thanks for the info Bill:)

Register to reply