Hollow circular tube versus hollow rectangular shaft

by daniel wood
Tags: circular, hollow, rectangular, shaft, tube, versus
daniel wood
Mar30-11, 12:17 PM
P: 2
Sportnut:
If I am using exact same aluminum material, with exact same thickness of gauge and I construct a 4ft long hollow circular tube that is 1" diameter, and I also construct a 4ft long hollow rectangular shaft that is 1" square, which would be more resistant to bending?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Bill_K
Mar30-11, 12:52 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,853
Hard to say, but the circular pipe would resist bending equally in all directions. Whereas the square pipe would be great in horizontal and vertical directions but would quickly fail if you tried to bend it along a diagonal (making it diamond-shaped)
daniel wood
Mar30-11, 01:00 PM
P: 2
Thanks Bill. I appreciate your response.

AlephZero
Mar30-11, 05:36 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,348

Hollow circular tube versus hollow rectangular shaft

The square tube would be stiffer because more of the material is further from the centerline.

The stiffness ratio (from the second moments of area) is (1/12) / (pi/64) = about 1.7

Post #2 is wrong. The square tube is also equally stiff for bending in any direction, though this is not so "obvious" as it is for a circular tube.

Register to reply