Stronger or Stiffer? Tube vs Rod: Answers Here!

• Thread starter saravananrame
  • Start date
  • Tags
    moment
In summary: Some say it is because the tube has more material.In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the strength and stiffness of hollow tubing compared to solid rods. The main question is whether the least bending property of the hollow tubing under load is attributed to stiffness or strength. The conclusion is that while the tubing may be stiffer, the solid rod is stronger due to the amount of material present in it. However, when comparing by weight, the hollow tubing may have the same strength as the solid rod due to the same amount of material. Further clarification is requested and it is mentioned that some sources state the tubing can be twice as strong due to its material.
saravananrame
I have some serious confusion regarding the title for the following issue .

I have read on plethora of forums and sites, giving the explanation of why hollow tubing is stronger than solid rod of the same dia or weight by justifying as to why it bends the least .

This makes me ponder ! Stronger or stiffer ? Isn’t that least bending property under a given load ( of hollow tubing ) attributed to stiffness ?

I would also like to clear if these conclusions of mine are right ?

1. Of the same dia – Hollow tubing is stiffer but Solid rod is stronger (owing to the more material present in it )

2. Of the same weight – Hollow tubing is stiffer but both have the same strength (owing to the same amount of material in it - assuming the yield strength is independent of the geometry )

Would be very helpful if someone could kindly throw some light on the same !

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Strength refers to the state of stress necessary to cause a material to fail when it is placed under load. This is very different from stiffness. The key word is failure.

saravananrame said:
I would also like to clear if these conclusions of mine are right ?

1. Of the same dia – Hollow tubing is stiffer but Solid rod is stronger (owing to the more material present in it )

The rod is stiffer and stronger. Hint: you didn't specify the ID of the tube so the wall thickness could be near zero.

2. Of the same weight – Hollow tubing is stiffer but both have the same strength (owing to the same amount of material in it - assuming the yield strength is independent of the geometry )

Would be very helpful if someone could kindly throw some light on the same !

Thanks

I believe the tube would be stiffer and stronger. One reference say a tube can be twice as strong.

What is the difference between a tube and a rod?

A tube is a hollow cylinder shape, while a rod is a solid cylindrical shape.

Which is stronger, a tube or a rod?

This depends on several factors such as the material used and the dimensions of the tube and rod. Generally, a solid rod will be stronger than a hollow tube of the same material and dimensions.

Which is stiffer, a tube or a rod?

Again, this depends on the material and dimensions of the tube and rod. In most cases, a solid rod will be stiffer than a hollow tube of the same material and dimensions.

What are the advantages of using a tube over a rod?

Using a tube can provide weight savings, as it requires less material to achieve the same strength and stiffness as a solid rod. Tubes can also be more aerodynamic and have a higher resistance to buckling.

What are the advantages of using a rod over a tube?

Rods can provide a higher strength and stiffness compared to tubes, making them suitable for applications where these properties are critical. They also have a higher resistance to torsion and can better handle compression forces.