Equations of a line tangent to a circle

In summary, to find the equations of tangents to the circle (x+1)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 25 with a slope of -3/4, you first need to find a line with a slope of 4/3 that goes through the center of the circle. Then, using the equation for the circle, use the quadratic formula to find the x values where the tangent lines intersect the circle. Plug these x values into the equation for the line to find the corresponding y values. The coordinates of these points are (2,7) and (-4,-1), which give the equations of the tangents as 3x + 4y = 34 and 3x + 4y
Subpar

Homework Statement

Given the circle (x+1)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 25, determine the equations of the tangents to the circle with the slope -3/4.

Homework Equations

y = mx + b

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that if I could find the equation of the line that passed through the center of the circle and had a slope perpendicular to -3/4 (4/3) I could then use the equation to find points on the circle which a tangent with a slope -3/4 touched and solve from there. However once I began doing this I started getting a bizarre number and stopped. I have no problem forming the equation of a tangent when given a point on the circle, but I can't figure out how to solve the question when only given the slope. Any help would be appreciated.

The textbook gives the answers as: 3x + 4y = 34, 3x + 4y = -16

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you've done and we'll be able to point out where your error lies, because since you seem to know the method in solving the problem, the issue probably lies in your algebra.

To solve geometrically, draw out the circle and your perpindicular line. The line intersecting the circle should form a 3,4,5 triangle (remember, radius 5 = hypotenuse). You can use this information to find the points.

I can't recall of an easy way to solve this algebraically.

You were on the right track. Once you find the line with slope 4/3 that goes through the center of the circle at (-1, 3), you need to plug that equation back into equation for the circle and use the quadratic formula to find the two values of x. Then plug the values of x that you got into the equation for the line that goes through the center to find the two values of y. You should get two coordinates through which the tangent lines go through, which are (2, 7) and (-4, -1). From there it is easy to find that 3x+4y=34 and 3x+4y=-16 are the two lines you're looking for.

What is the equation of a line tangent to a circle?

The equation of a line tangent to a circle is y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept. The slope can be determined by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of the line connecting the center of the circle to the point of tangency.

How do you find the point of tangency on a circle?

To find the point of tangency on a circle, you can use the formula (x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2, where (a,b) is the center of the circle and r is the radius. Set this equation equal to the equation of the line tangent to the circle and solve for x and y.

What are the conditions for a line to be tangent to a circle?

A line is tangent to a circle when it intersects the circle at exactly one point. This means that the distance from the center of the circle to the point of tangency is equal to the radius of the circle. Additionally, the line must be perpendicular to the radius at the point of tangency.

Can a line be tangent to a circle at more than one point?

No, a line can only be tangent to a circle at one point. If a line intersects a circle at two points, it is called a secant line, not a tangent line.

How do you find the equation of a tangent line to a circle at a given point?

To find the equation of a tangent line to a circle at a given point, you can use the point-slope form of a line, y - y1 = m(x-x1), where (x1,y1) is the given point. The slope m can be determined by taking the negative reciprocal of the slope of the line connecting the center of the circle to the given point.