Shortest path to a point that doesn't pass through the given circle

In summary, my problem is finding a shortest path between two points that is equal to the sum of CE and EB or its symmetrical complement. I found that if I use a non-straight line path, the same tangents plus an arc HG of the circle can be the shortest path.
JDStupi
Homework Statement
I am trying to work through a problem solving book, and one of the problems is to try to find the shortest path leading from (0,0) to (12,16) that doesn't pass through the circle (x-6)^2+(y-8)^2=25
Relevant Equations
(x-6)^2+(y-8)^2=25
and the various line formulas.

This is my attempt at a solution. Point A is the center of the circle (6,8) and Point B is the given point (12,16). I believe that the shortest path would be the one that is equal to the sum of CE and EB or its symmetrical complement. (I forgot to put a point where the top line intersects the y-axis). My problem is 1) To show that this is the case and 2) To find an analytical expression for this.

I must find the slope of a line that makes it from the origin to the point E = (12,y) and lies tangent to the circle at point D. From visual inspection, this point lies to the right of the minimum height of the circle, but how do I determine this optimal point, when I do not know the optimal y for point E?

From there, the solution is a straightforward sum.

I'm not looking for the exact answer, I want coaching on the thinking involved and the process. Thank you all for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
JDStupi said:
I'm not looking for the exact answer, I want coaching on the thinking involved and the process. Thank you all for your help.

Hint 1: circles and lines have equations that define them

Hint 2: a tangent to a circle forms a right-angle with the radius of the circle at that point.

Although in your diagram CDA doesn't look like a right-angle triangle it is!

May the path touch the circle? Must the path be straight line segments? Can part of the path be on the circle?

PeroK said:
Hint 1: circles and lines have equations that define them

Hint 2: a tangent to a circle forms a right-angle with the radius of the circle at that point.

Although in your diagram CDA doesn't look like a right-angle triangle it is!

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but I still can't figure out how to use this. The point D is not given. All I have is the origin, my guess at a point E=(12,y) and my need for a point,D=(x,y), tangent to the circle and on the line that runs from the origin to E.

I tried using your second triangle hint, but knowing only the length of CA and nothing about D, I couldn't put the pieces together.

LCKurtz said:
May the path touch the circle? Must the path be straight line segments? Can part of the path be on the circle?

There is nothing that says the path must be straight line segments, nor that the path can not travel on the arc of the circle, it simply says that it cannot pass through the circle. My first assumption was that that straight line solution would be the shortest because if I traveled along the arc of the circle I would end up covering more distance.

I can see how you can travel from roughly the origin to D and then follow the arc to a point in the first quadrant of the circle and then minimize the distance from that point to the destination (12,16), but that seemed to involve a greater distance as the path must travel a distance upwards while arcing, rather than just moving straight up.

If you imagine angling the line BF a bit to the left as you move down so it is tangent to the circle at a point P, isn't it obvious that the path B to P arc to D straight to the origin C would be the shortest? You still have to figure out where C is, where P is, and how long the arc is to add to the straight line segments.

Likes SammyS
Draw another tangent from C to the circle, tangent at H, say, and meeting GB at I. Then, if we are limited to straight line paths, I think you have a very simple argument from the triangle inequality that CHIGB is a shortest path. There is another path, drawing a new tangent from B, but I think it has the same length.

If instead non-straight line paths are allowed, I think it is not hard to see by the same sort of argument, but harder to justify, that the same tangents
plus an arc HG of the circleIs the shortest path. Something like this should even hold when the arc HG is not only a circle, but convex everywhere.

Last edited:

1. What is the shortest path to a point that doesn't pass through the given circle?

The shortest path to a point that doesn't pass through the given circle is the straight line distance between the point and the center of the circle. This is known as the radius of the circle.

2. How is the shortest path calculated?

The shortest path is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the longest side) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. In this case, the hypotenuse is the shortest path and the other two sides are the radius of the circle and the distance between the point and the center of the circle.

3. Can the shortest path pass through the circle?

No, by definition, the shortest path to a point that doesn't pass through the given circle cannot pass through the circle. The shortest path is always a straight line distance between the point and the center of the circle.

4. How does the radius of the circle affect the shortest path?

The radius of the circle directly affects the length of the shortest path. The larger the radius, the longer the shortest path will be. This is because the radius is one of the sides in the Pythagorean theorem and as the radius increases, so does the length of the hypotenuse (shortest path).

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the shortest path?

The shortest path is only affected by the radius of the circle and the distance between the point and the center of the circle. Other factors such as the shape or position of the circle do not have an impact on the shortest path.