Register to reply

Stupid question - is it possible to use up all the oxygen in your room?

by bumclouds
Tags: oxygen, room, stupid
Share this thread:
bumclouds
May25-11, 11:02 AM
P: 25
I have a stupid question to ask you all.

Let's just say that you shut your door, and then shut all your windows so there isn't any ventilation and stayed in your room for several days. Could you end up breathing until you've reduced the oxygen to dangerous levels?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
A new synthetic amino acid for an emerging class of drugs
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
aroc91
May25-11, 05:10 PM
P: 166
If it's completely sealed and there's no other source of oxygen, then sure.
bumclouds
May26-11, 11:29 AM
P: 25
And how long would it take to run out of oxygen?

I often wonder if there's a tiny little gap of say, 1 square cm to the outside world, would you rate of oxygen consumption beat the inflow of oxygen?

brydustin
May26-11, 12:14 PM
P: 209
Stupid question - is it possible to use up all the oxygen in your room?

Stupid question, you bet you!
Not so stupid answer though:
Go study partial differential equations, and determine for yourself the air flow given the size of the hole, temperature, etc.... after factoring in all these variables then determine how big the hole has to be. Btw, in a room built out of wood, the oxygen would still get through, so this needs to be a room of plastic; why don't you tell us how big the whole has to be to substain life? Go now, study :p
russ_watters
May26-11, 07:14 PM
Mentor
P: 22,302
The short answer is that you'd need a ridiculously well sealed building to create such a problem. I once ran across a building that used to be a FEMA office and it was designed pretty air tight, so it required continuous ventilation to keep the air quality acceptable.

Note, though, that you can't "use up all the oxygen" in a room: It isn't lack of oxygen that would kill you, it is too much CO2.
ZealScience
May28-11, 09:57 AM
P: 351
If you use completely compartmentalized room then yes. But When the O2 level decrease to certain level the partial pressure of O2 is so low that haemoglobin would not combine with oxygen, then you are just going to die before it is completely used up. So It's never going to "use up" literally.

Register to reply