Register to reply

Eigen functions/values for many-body Hamiltonian with creation/annihilation operators

by ranytawfik
Tags: annihilation, creation, many-body, numerical
Share this thread:
ranytawfik
Jun3-11, 04:17 PM
P: 11
Problem:
-----------

Iím trying to understand how to generally find Eigen functions/values (either analytically or numerically) for Hamiltonian with creation/annihilation operators in many-body problems.

Procedures:
--------------

1. I setup a simple case of finite-potential well with two in-distinguishable fermions (ignore spin for the moment).
2. I got the creation/annihilation field operators.
3. I second-quantized all the elements of the Hamiltonian (kinetic energy, well/external potential, and electron-electron electrostatic interaction).

My question is how to proceed next? I have the Hamiltonian which is now function of the creation/annihilation operators. How can I solve for the many-body Eigen function/values after that?

Thanks so much.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
strangerep
Jun3-11, 09:54 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,927
ranytawfik,

It would be easier to respond if you post some of your math that you've
already obtained in the first 3 steps.

[
If you're not familiar with Latex on this forum, try this thread:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997
]
Bill_K
Jun4-11, 08:28 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 4,160
In general, the procedure is as follows:

1) Try to find the normal modes of your system, that is, transform your creation/annihilation operators to a basis in which the Hamiltonian is diagonal: H = ∑ ak*ak.

2) Find the states for each normal mode as a quantized harmonic oscillator. The ground state is |0k> such that ak|0k> = 0. The excited states are |nk> = (ak*)n|nk>.

If you can't do step (1), you'll have to use perturbation theory.

ranytawfik
Jun4-11, 10:38 PM
P: 11
Eigen functions/values for many-body Hamiltonian with creation/annihilation operators

Thanks strangerep and Bill. I'll try to do what you suggested, Bill, and post a follow up with the detailed Latex equations and procedures.

Register to reply