Troubleshooting Signal Addition Using Opamp: A Case Study

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with adding two signals to create a sinusoidal wave in a "M" shape. They followed a procedure but did not get the desired output, instead receiving a square wave with sinusoidal peaks. They are unsure what they are doing wrong and ask for assistance. Another person mentions that the issue may be with the starting phase of the second signal and the type of signal generator being used. Eventually, the speaker discovers that there was a faulty resistor and now everything is working correctly.
Meteora
Hey guys, first of all this is my first post in here so I hope I am doing the procedure of asking questions the right way.

My problem is;

I want to add two signals and generate a 1.5 period of sinusoidal wave only at the beginnig. It will be a sine wave starting at t=0 and ends at t=1.5T which looks like a "M".

The procedure I followed (which did not work) was;

-Apply a sine input1 with 50Hz 1V peak.
-Apply a sine input2 with 50Hz 1V peak and 30msec delay time.
-Sum these two by a summing amplifier.

When I look at the voltage probes of these inputs together, when added, it seems that I will get the right kind of output but my voltage output is something completely different. It is some kind of square wave with sinusoidal peaks.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you mean by 'it seems that I will get the right kind of output' ?
(What kind of output seems to be given correctly? )

As far I see, It depends on how the second signal applied with 30ms delay time is started. It must be started with exactly phase-out condition with the first signal. And, whether that happens depends on the signal-generator being used.

Cheers

Just figured out that there was a resistor out of value. I got it all working now.

Thanks.

1. What is signal addition via opamp?

Signal addition via opamp is the process of combining multiple signals together using an operational amplifier (opamp) to create a single output signal. This is commonly used in electronic circuits to sum or mix signals from different sources.

2. How does an opamp perform signal addition?

An opamp has two input terminals, an inverting and non-inverting, and one output terminal. The output signal is determined by the voltage difference between the two input terminals. By varying the input voltages and using the correct resistor values, the opamp can sum the signals to produce a single output signal.

3. What are the advantages of using opamps for signal addition?

Opamps have a high gain, which means they can amplify very small input signals to a usable level. They also have a high input impedance, which means they don't draw much current from the input sources. This makes them ideal for adding signals without affecting the original sources.

4. Can opamps be used to subtract signals as well?

Yes, opamps can be used for both addition and subtraction of signals. By using a combination of resistors and input voltages, the opamp can perform mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

5. What are some common applications of signal addition via opamp?

Signal addition via opamp is commonly used in audio mixers, where multiple audio signals need to be combined into one output. It is also used in instrumentation and control systems, where multiple sensor inputs need to be summed to create a single output signal. Opamps are also used in analog computers and mathematical circuits for performing calculations.