Third Order Intercept - Use Peaks or RMS?

• Thread starter Natalie Johnson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rms
In summary, the conversation discusses using RMS or Peak power to calculate the TOI plot, with the current plot showing 1:1 slope and 1:3 slope with correct values. The process involves using two fundamental frequencies and extrapolating a straight line to determine where it intercepts with the intermod gradient.
Natalie Johnson
Hi, I have a tough or straight forward question... please can someone share knowledge

I have two sine waves at different frequencies, my fundamental frequencies, and they are summed together to produce a signal.

This signal is put through a non linear transfer curve of an amplifier, which is to say its signal power is incremented in steps, my power in and a power out is obtained (which is amplified). Towards the end of the transfer curve, it experiences non linearity and intermods are produced.

I perform an FFT and obtain the power contained at each frequency in the signal (at each incremented signal power along the transfer curve). This allows me to have the power of each sine wave and all the intermods for each increment of signal power along the transfer curve.This data then is plotted and I have 1:1 slope (power in vs power out) and 1:3 slope (power in vs intermod power). The slopes are correct.

Now to calculate the TOI, I can extrapolate a straight line along the transfer curve and see where it intercepts an extrapolated straight line of intermod gradient.

Do I use RMS or Peak on this plot?

Currently...
The 1:1 slope is the power of 1 fundamental frequency taken from the frequency domain of an FFT of the entire signal (hence its currently a peak and two fundamental frequencies are present in the FFT - I only use one)
The 1:3 slope is of the intermod power and its also from the frequency domain of FFT of the signal (hence its currently a peak)

Do I use RMS or Peak power of the fundamental frequency and intermod frequency on this TOI plot?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Natalie Johnson said:
Hi, I have a tough or straight forward question... please can someone share knowledge

I have two sine waves at different frequencies, my fundamental frequencies, and they are summed together to produce a signal.

This signal is put through a non linear transfer curve of an amplifier, which is to say its signal power is incremented in steps, my power in and a power out is obtained (which is amplified). Towards the end of the transfer curve, it experiences non linearity and intermods are produced.

I perform an FFT and obtain the power contained at each frequency in the signal (at each incremented signal power along the transfer curve). This allows me to have the power of each sine wave and all the intermods for each increment of signal power along the transfer curve.This data then is plotted and I have 1:1 slope (power in vs power out) and 1:3 slope (power in vs intermod power). The slopes are correct.

Now to calculate the TOI, I can extrapolate a straight line along the transfer curve and see where it intercepts an extrapolated straight line of intermod gradient.

Currently...
The 1:1 slope is the power of 1 fundamental frequency taken from the frequency domain of an FFT of the entire signal (hence its currently a peak and two fundamental frequencies are present in the FFT - I only use one)
The 1:3 slope is of the intermod power and its also from the frequency domain of FFT of the signal (hence its currently a peak)

Do I use RMS or Peak power of the fundamental frequency and intermod frequency on this TOI plot?
This is an area I don't know much about, but it seems to me that RMS power
Natalie Johnson said:

Currently...

This isn't really my field, but my guess is that the difference in the log-log plots of RMS vs. RMS and peak vs. peak power will be negligible. I suggest that you try them both and find out.

It affects the location of intercept (co ords) and yes its log log plot

Natalie Johnson said:
It affects the location of intercept (co ords) and yes its log log plot
You are going to have a scale factor between ##P_{inRMS}## and ##P_{inPeak}##. Is there much difference in the intercept location ##P_{in}## coordinate between the two plots if you apply the scale factor?

Natalie Johnson said:
It does not mention which to use
Here is what I am driving at. I expect the only difference in the plots will be due to a small difference in the ratio of peak to RMS power for the signal vs. the signal cubed. It also occurs to me that you may be calculating the peak power by multiplying RMS power by ##\sqrt 2##. In either case it will not matter whether you plot peak or RMS power as long as you label your axes appropriately.

in real world terms RMS power has no significance vs average power.

Please see the following paper for an explanation:http://eznec.com/Amateur/RMS_Power.pdf

you should use average power and peak power in comparisons. In general terms both can be important.

for your application, I would use average power for a particular pulse, not peak. try calculating it using both and seeing the difference. It depends on how high the peak is, and what the signal width is.

Likes berkeman
Natalie Johnson said:

Currently...

It sounds as if you have a spectrum analyser type of display generated using FFT. This is displaying log freq versus dB I think.
In the intermod test, we see single frequencies, therefore sine waves. Two of these are the fundamental frequencies and several others are intermodulation products, also sine waves.
We wish to compare one fundamental with one IMP product. The dB reading indicates the power in the sine wave, as when using a power meter. You do not need to consider the shape of the wave or its peak to average ratio etc. Just read the max value at each frequency and take the difference in dB.
(As a matter of interest, if a spectrum analyser has sufficient bandwidth to allow two sine waves to reach the detector, then it will give wrong readings unless the detector is a square law type. But if the bandwidth is narrow enough so that only one sine wave reaches the detector then it reads correctly).

Likes sophiecentaur
tech99 said:
In the intermod test, we see single frequencies, therefore sine waves.
Yes, this the main point. A spectrum analyser should give the amplitude of the sinusoidal components and the ratio of peak to RMS is the same for all. (Of course, the bandwidth has to be small enough to resolve the individual components so that there is a definite 'dip' between any two.)

tech99 said:
It sounds as if you have a spectrum analyser type of display generated using FFT. This is displaying log freq versus dB I think.
In the intermod test, we see single frequencies, therefore sine waves. Two of these are the fundamental frequencies and several others are intermodulation products, also sine waves.
We wish to compare one fundamental with one IMP product. The dB reading indicates the power in the sine wave, as when using a power meter. You do not need to consider the shape of the wave or its peak to average ratio etc. Just read the max value at each frequency and take the difference in dB.
(As a matter of interest, if a spectrum analyser has sufficient bandwidth to allow two sine waves to reach the detector, then it will give wrong readings unless the detector is a square law type. But if the bandwidth is narrow enough so that only one sine wave reaches the detector then it reads correctly).

sophiecentaur said:
Yes, this the main point. A spectrum analyser should give the amplitude of the sinusoidal components and the ratio of peak to RMS is the same for all. (Of course, the bandwidth has to be small enough to resolve the individual components so that there is a definite 'dip' between any two.)

Hm okay I will do some more investigation.
By the way, this is not using a Spectrum Analyser, its using MATLAB script and their FFT function and the transfer curve is a polynomial. The sine waves are fed into the polynomial and FFT used on output

Natalie Johnson said:
Hm okay I will do some more investigation.
By the way, this is not using a Spectrum Analyser, its using MATLAB script and their FFT function and the transfer curve is a polynomial. The sine waves are fed into the polynomial and FFT used on output
That's fine. The bandwidth will be of the order of the inverse of the overall time for all the samples. It's only an alternative method for spectrum analysis and in no way inferior.

1. What is the Third Order Intercept (TOI)?

The Third Order Intercept is a measure of linearity in a system, specifically in radio frequency (RF) and microwave systems. It refers to the point at which the third-order intermodulation (IM3) products reach the same level as the desired signal. It is often used to evaluate the performance of amplifiers and other non-linear systems.

2. How is the TOI calculated?

The TOI is calculated by plotting the output power of the third-order intermodulation products against the input power of the desired signal. The intercept point where the two lines intersect is the TOI.

3. What is the difference between using peaks and RMS for TOI measurement?

Peaks and RMS (Root Mean Square) are two different methods of measuring voltage or power. Peaks measure the highest voltage or power value, while RMS measures the average power over a given time period. In terms of TOI measurement, using peaks can provide more accurate results as it captures the highest instantaneous power, while RMS may smooth out the peaks and not accurately reflect the true linearity of the system.

4. When is it appropriate to use peaks for TOI measurement?

Peaks are typically used for TOI measurement when the system being evaluated has a high level of non-linearity. This can be seen in amplifiers or other systems that produce a lot of distortion or intermodulation products. In these cases, peaks may provide a more accurate representation of the system's performance.

5. Are there any limitations to using peaks for TOI measurement?

Yes, there are limitations to using peaks for TOI measurement. Peaks may not accurately represent the true performance of a system in cases where the input signal is constantly changing, such as in digital communication systems. Additionally, peaks may not be a good indicator of performance if the input signal is already highly distorted or has a lot of noise.