Register to reply

How is a spark created?

by InsertName
Tags: fire, metal, spark
Share this thread:
InsertName
Jun21-11, 02:26 PM
P: 27
On a fundamental level, can anyone explain how a spark is created from scraping a knife along a peice of metal as done by people who want to light fires 'in the wild'?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
LostConjugate
Jun21-11, 04:08 PM
P: 842
Electrons are removed from the metal causing it to become charged, then a spark may occur even at such a low voltage because of the very small surface area at the edge of a knife.
Drakkith
Jun21-11, 05:01 PM
Mentor
P: 12,006
Quote Quote by LostConjugate View Post
Electrons are removed from the metal causing it to become charged, then a spark may occur even at such a low voltage because of the very small surface area at the edge of a knife.
I'm not sure this is correct. From wikipedia on Flint: When struck against steel, a flint edge will produce sparks. The hard flint edge shaves off a particle of the steel that, heated by the friction, reacts with oxygen from the atmosphere and can ignite the proper tinder.

I think a similar effect is happening between a knife and metal. It generates high friction which produces "sparks".

DragonPetter
Jun21-11, 06:09 PM
P: 834
How is a spark created?

Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
I'm not sure this is correct. From wikipedia on Flint: When struck against steel, a flint edge will produce sparks. The hard flint edge shaves off a particle of the steel that, heated by the friction, reacts with oxygen from the atmosphere and can ignite the proper tinder.

I think a similar effect is happening between a knife and metal. It generates high friction which produces "sparks".
Yes, I think sparks are actually pieces of the metal heated by friction, and the temperature causes the metal embers to be incandescent.

I don't think it is an electrostatics phenomenon.
InsertName
Jun22-11, 06:54 AM
P: 27
Thank you.
LostConjugate
Jun22-11, 11:10 AM
P: 842
Then how can it be a spark?
nasu
Jun22-11, 12:53 PM
P: 1,988
"Spark" has (at least) two meanings.
One is a small incandescent particle.
If talking about a fire, "spark" means small incandescent particle (of carbon, usually).
The second meaning of "spark" refers to an electrical discharge.

Register to reply