Register to reply

Euler-Lagrange equation derivation

by silmaril89
Tags: action, derivation, euler-lagrange
Share this thread:
silmaril89
Jun26-11, 07:14 PM
P: 84
I'm trying to understand the derivation of the Euler-Lagrange equation from the classical action. This has been my main source so far. The issue I'm having is proving the following equivalence:

[tex]
\int_{t_1}^{t_2} [L(x_{true} + \varepsilon, \dot{x}_{true} + \dot{\varepsilon},t) - L(x_{true}, \dot{x}_{true},t)] \mathrm{d}t = \int_{t_1}^{t_2} (\varepsilon \frac{\partial L}{\partial x} + \dot{\varepsilon} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}}) \mathrm{d}t
[/tex]

I understand the idea behind their equivalence intuitively, The derivative of a function is the change in that function, and I see how on the left side there is a representation of a small change in the lagrangian, but I'm having a hard time proving this to myself mathematically and I'd like some help.

I understand all the other steps shown in the derivation.

Thanks to anyone that responds.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
RedX
Jun27-11, 02:02 AM
P: 969
You should ignore the integral, and just focus on showing that the things under the integrals are equal. If you have a function f(x), then by definition of the derivative:

[f(x+h)-f(x)]/h=f'(x)

when h goes to zero.

Therefore f(x+h)-f(x)=h*f'(x)

This is for one variable, and the generalization to two variables is:

f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y)=h*Dxf+g*Dyf

where Dx and Dy are the partial derivatives in the x-direction and y-direction respectively.

So just let y be x dot, and f be your Lagrangian, and you get the result.
silmaril89
Jun27-11, 09:22 AM
Ok, that makes sense. I understand how it works with just one independent variable, but I did not realize the generalization to two variables. Thanks for that.

RedX
Jun27-11, 11:50 AM
P: 969
Euler-Lagrange equation derivation

Quote Quote by silmaril89 View Post
Ok, that makes sense. I understand how it works with just one independent variable, but I didn't not realize the generalization to two variables. Thanks for that.
O, I didn't know that you know how it works with one variable. In that case:

f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y)=[f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y+g)]+[f(x,y+g)-f(x,y)]=
h*Dxf(x,y+g)+g*Dyf(x,y)

which you get just from the 1-variable definition of the derivative.

Now the key is that applying the one variable definition of the derivative again:

h*Dxf(x,y+g)=h*Dxf(x,y)+g*h*DxDyf(x,y)

and if g and h are really small, just keep the first term.

So f(x+h,y+g)-f(x,y)=h*Dxf(x,y+g)+g*Dyf(x,y)=h*Dxf(x,y)+g*Dyf(x,y)
silmaril89
Jun27-11, 08:42 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me. That's a clever trick to apply the one variable definition again. To be honest, it's bit unsettling to me that we disregard a term based on g and h being very small. However, I do realize in the derivation on the wikipedia page I linked that that term would be very small.

Register to reply