Requirement of Holonomic Constraints for Deriving Lagrange Equations

deuteron
TL;DR Summary
Why is it required for the constraints to be holonomic to derive the Euler-Lagrange equations of motion?
While deriving the Lagrange equations from d'Alembert's principle, we get from $$\displaystyle\sum_i(m\ddot x_i-F_i)\delta x_i=0\tag{1}$$ to $$\displaystyle\sum_k (\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\ q_k}-(\frac d {dt}\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot q_k}))\delta q_k=0\tag{2}$$

However, from the above step, we get to the below step only after assuming holonomic constraints:
$$(\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\ q_k}-(\frac d {dt}\frac {\partial\mathcal L}{\partial\dot q_k})=0.\tag{3}$$

Why is it that we have to assume holonomic constraints for that transition? My guess is that it has something to do with that if the constraints are not holonomic, then the virtual displacement are not always perpendicular to the trajectory of the body, but I can't see the mathematical connection between these.

Likes PeroK
Physics news on Phys.org
There is no restriction to holonomic constraints. You can also treat non-holonomic constraints. If done right, i.e., as a constraint on the "allowed" variations of the trajectories in configuration space, you get the same equations as from d'Alembert's principle. We have a lot of discussions on this in this forum. Just search for "vakonomic dynamics" ;-).

Likes PeroK and deuteron

1. What are holonomic constraints?

Holonomic constraints are mathematical conditions that restrict the motion of a system to a certain subspace of its configuration space. They can be expressed as equations involving the coordinates of the system.

2. Why are holonomic constraints important for deriving Lagrange equations?

Holonomic constraints are important because they allow us to simplify the equations of motion for a system by reducing the number of degrees of freedom. This makes it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the system.

3. Can Lagrange equations be derived without holonomic constraints?

Yes, Lagrange equations can be derived without holonomic constraints. However, in most practical applications, the use of holonomic constraints greatly simplifies the derivation and analysis of the equations of motion.

4. What is the difference between holonomic and non-holonomic constraints?

The main difference between holonomic and non-holonomic constraints is that holonomic constraints can be expressed as equations involving the coordinates of the system, while non-holonomic constraints cannot. Non-holonomic constraints often involve restrictions on the velocities or accelerations of the system.

5. How do holonomic constraints affect the degrees of freedom of a system?

Holonomic constraints reduce the number of degrees of freedom of a system by restricting its motion to a certain subspace of its configuration space. This means that the system has fewer independent variables to describe its motion, making it easier to analyze and understand.