Stability of Products: Nuclear binding energy vs Enthelpy

In summary, the more stable a nucleus is, the higher its binding energy is. This is equivalent to the term 'bond strength' and it is a measure of how much energy is needed to pull the nucleus apart.
physickkksss
I want to get my head around this...

Why is that in nuclear fusion, the formed nucleus is more stable because its nuclear binding energy/nucleon is HIGHER than the sum of its reactants

But

in general chemical reactions products are more stable if their enthalpy is LOWER than the sum of their reactants

I know that in both cases: bonds are formed, the products are more stable, and energy is released...so it has something to do with the definitions of what is +ve and -ve

But I'm trying to connect the dots here, and would appreciate any help :)

Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Binding energy refers to the energy needed to pull the nucleus apart. It is the inverse of Enthalpy which is a measure of the total energy of something. The higher the binding energy of a nucleus, the less energy it contains compared to its parts before fusion, as it released more energy during binding.

Drakkith said:
Binding energy refers to the energy needed to pull the nucleus apart. It is the inverse of Enthalpy which is a measure of the total energy of something. The higher the binding energy of a nucleus, the less energy it contains compared to its parts before fusion, as it released more energy during binding.

I think i get it know...the bolded part is the key.

Binding energy is actually equivalent to what we would call 'bond strength' in general chemical species.

What is the equivalent of enthalpy for a nucleus though? Can we say more stable (higher binding energy) nucleus has lower 'nuclear enthalpy' too?

I would say yes. The mass of an atom of Deuterium is LESS than a proton, neutron, and electron combined when they are free.

Can you say less mass would imply less enthalpy?

physickkksss said:
Can you say less mass would imply less enthalpy?

Only in the right context. Deuterium has much less mass than Iron, but it is able to give off energy when it is fused, while Iron does not. So it just depends on what you are comparing and how.

cool...thanks for the replies

1. What is nuclear binding energy?

Nuclear binding energy is the amount of energy required to break apart the nucleus of an atom into its individual protons and neutrons.

2. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is the measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system, including both its internal energy and the work required to exert pressure on its surroundings.

3. How are nuclear binding energy and enthalpy related?

Nuclear binding energy and enthalpy are not directly related. Nuclear binding energy is a measure of the stability of the nucleus, while enthalpy is a measure of the overall energy of a system.

4. Why is nuclear binding energy important?

Nuclear binding energy is important because it determines the stability of the nucleus. A higher nuclear binding energy indicates a more stable nucleus, which is crucial for the stability and longevity of a nuclear reactor or nuclear waste storage.

5. How does nuclear binding energy affect the stability of products?

Nuclear binding energy plays a crucial role in the stability of products in nuclear reactions. When a nucleus undergoes a nuclear reaction, the resulting products will have a different nuclear binding energy. If the products have a lower nuclear binding energy than the reactants, the reaction will release energy and be more stable. However, if the products have a higher nuclear binding energy, the reaction will require energy and be less stable.