Radioactive decay, Stability and Halflife

In summary: So, in summary, the binding energy of a nucleus is always a positive number and takes energy to disassemble into its nucleons due to the attraction of the strong nuclear force. Some unstable nuclei have a higher binding energy per nucleon than stable ones, but they decay to nuclei with even higher binding energy per nucleon. The stability of a nucleus depends on the likelihood of its decay modes and the balance of forces involved in determining its binding energy per nucleon.
Here is a graph for half life vs. decay energy of most naturally occurring alpha emitters. Bismuth-209 is off the scale.

Edit: Here with Bi-209 drawn in:

alpha.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the extremely late reply.
I don't know the reason, but the more new things I learn from Physics, the more questions are formed in my mind.
First of all, why is alpha decay much more common than other types of fission?
PeterDonis said:
Beryllium-8 is an extreme outlier, because its "decay product" via alpha decay is an alpha particle itself
Why is alpha particle that special?
For example there are some nuclei with higher binding energy per nucleon. Why α?
mfb said:
Here is a graph for half life vs. decay energy of most naturally occurring alpha emitters.
What is wave function?
(When I want to find my answers, there are always some unfamiliar words like wave function, spin, angular momentum,... that are related to QM -about which I don't know anything!
Actually I've just entered high school and my main subject is Biology; so the only reason why I learn Physics is my great interest.)

A M said:
why is alpha decay much more common than other types of fission?

Alpha decay is not normally considered a type of fission. It's much more common than spontaneous fission because it's much more likely that there will be some nucleus with higher binding energy per nucleon reachable by alpha decay, than that there will be some pair of nuclei that a heavy nucleus can exactly split into by fission. Also it's much harder to split a heavy nucleus nearly in half than for just an alpha particle to come out, because many more nucleons have to se

A M said:
Why is alpha particle that special?

It's not that the alpha particle itself is special in the case of Beryllium-8; it's that thinking of Beryllium-8 as "emitting an alpha particle" is a misnomer. What is really happening is that two alpha particles came together for a very short time into a resonance state called "Beryllium-8" and are now separating again. Beryllium-8 is the only nucleus for which this is the case, because it's the only nucleus that is exactly two alpha particles bound together.

That said, the alpha particle--the nucleus of Helium-4--actually is special as far as nuclei are concerned, in that its binding energy per nucleon is very high for such a light nucleus. The detailed reasons behind this are beyond the scope of this thread, but it is part of the reason that alpha particle emission is a fairly common form of radioactive decay.

A M said:
What is wave function?

If you label a thread as "I" level in the quantum forum, you are expected to already know the answer to this. See further comments below.

A M said:
When I want to find my answers, there are always some unfamiliar words like wave function, spin, angular momentum,... that are related to QM -about which I don't know anything!

Yes, and that means you will need to spend the time learning about it in order to have the background necessary to understand the answers. You can't expect to just ask individual questions and understand the answers without that background.

A M said:
I've just entered high school

That means you have plenty of time to learn more. In particular, you have plenty of time to learn more about the basics of quantum mechanics, such as what a wave function is. It is beyond the scope of PF to give detailed explanations of basic concepts like that. The basic answer is that the wave function is how the state of a quantum system is represented mathematically in quantum mechanics; but for that answer to make sense you need to take the time to study the material on your own.

PeterDonis said:
it's much harder to split a heavy nucleus nearly in half than for just an alpha particle to come out, because many more nucleons have to se
That makes more sense!
PeterDonis said:
Yes, and that means you will need to spend the time learning about it in order to have the background necessary to understand the answers. You can't expect to just ask individual questions and understand the answers without that background.
OK, I'll do my best to learn the background.
PeterDonis said:
It is beyond the scope of PF to give detailed explanations of basic concepts like that.
As a matter of fact even much more basic explanations (like binding energy) are beyond my school lessons!

Last edited:
A M said:
As a matter of fact even much more basic explanations (like binding energy) are beyond my school lessons!

Binding energy is actually fairly easy, so I'll give you a basic pointer.

Consider a simple bound system like a hydrogen atom in its ground state. It has a binding energy of 13.6 eV. What does this mean? It means that, if you wanted to separate the proton and the electron and make them both free particles, not bound to each other at all, you would have to add 13.6 eV to the atom to do it.

In other words, the binding energy of a bound system is the energy you would have to add to the system to separate all of its constituents and make each of them a free system, not bound to any of the others at all.

PeterDonis said:
In other words, the binding energy of a bound system is the energy you would have to add to the system to separate all of its constituents and make each of them a free system
What is a bound state?!

A M said:
What is a bound state?

A state where constituents, like the proton and electron in a hydrogen atom or all of the nucleons in a nucleus, are confined to a small region of space and can't escape. This is another of those basic terms that you really need to spend some time studying quantum mechanics on your own to learn.

PeterDonis said:
This is another of those basic terms that you really need to spend some time studying quantum mechanics on your own to learn
:smile:
PeterDonis said:
A state where constituents, like the proton and electron in a hydrogen atom or all of the nucleons in a nucleus, are confined to a small region of space and can't escape.
So, I've read that according to Pauli exclusion principle, bound state of identical fermions is forbidden. (Identical fermions can't occupy the same quantum state.)
I know what fermions are, but I want to know what "the same quantum state" is.
Thank you!

A M said:
I've read that according to Pauli exclusion principle, bound state of identical fermions is forbidden.

No, you didn't. What you read was this:

A M said:
Identical fermions can't occupy the same quantum state.

That's not the same as "bound states of identical fermions is forbidden".

A M said:
I want to know what "the same quantum state" is.
Thank you!

This is one of those basic aspects of QM that you really need to take the time to study for yourself.

The OP question has been answered. Thread closed.