Squeeze Theorem - Multivarible question

by pbxed
Tags: multivarible, squeeze, theorem
Share this thread:
pbxed
Aug7-11, 10:57 AM
P: 14
Hi,

I'm having a lot of difficulty with finding limits of multivariable functions. A question like this comes up every year in the final exam and it will always ask for use of the squeezing theorem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Suppose that
f(x, y) = 1 +(5x2y3)/x2 + y2

for (x, y) =/= (0, 0)

and that f(0, 0) = 0. By applying the Squeezing Rule to |f(x, y) − 1|, or otherwise, prove

that f(x, y) -> 1 as (x, y) -> (0, 0).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that in order for a limit to exist that no matter what direction we approach (0,0) we must compute the same value. From x-axis and y-axis it seems that the limit is indeed 1. I also get the intuition of squeeze theorem that

lim (x,y) -> (a,b) g(x) <= lim (x,y) -> (a,b) f(x) <= lim (x,y) -> (a,b) h(x)

so lim g(x) = lim h(x) then we have found our lim f(x)

What I'm really confused about is how we set up the squeeze inequality that I see in some textbooks.

Would it be something like this ?

1 =< (5x2y3)/(x2 + y2) <= (I have no idea how you would find an expression on the RHS)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
HallsofIvy
Aug7-11, 11:35 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,568
It's almost impossible to tell what you mean. If you don't want to use LaTeX or html tags, at least use "^" to indicate a power. I think your "5x2y3" is supposed to mean 5x^2y^3. But you also need parentheses. Do you mean
1)1 +((5x^2y^3)/x^2) + y^2
2) (1+ 5x^2y^3)/ (x^2+ y^2)
3) 1+ 5x^2y^3/(x^2+ y^2)?

I suspect you mean the third but I cannot be certain

I recommend casting into polar coordinates, then getting you "squeeze" by observing that sine and cosine are always between -1 and 1.
pbxed
Aug7-11, 11:40 AM
Oh, sorry I did mean the third one. I copied and pasted directly from a pdf file and it messed up the formatting without me realising sorry. Ill try the polar coordinates now thx.

pbxed
Aug7-11, 11:50 AM
Squeeze Theorem - Multivarible question

Okay, So I subbed in x = r cos (alpha) and y = r sin (alpha) and simplified the expression down to

1 + 5r^3(cos(alpha))^2(sin(alpha))^3

My question is, because as the lim r-> 0 then isn't the limit just 1 (which is what I wanted to show) and I wouldn't have to use the squeeze theorem if doing this question in polar coordinates ?

Register to reply