Squeeze Theorem - Multivarible question

by pbxed
Tags: multivarible, squeeze, theorem
Share this thread:
pbxed
Aug7-11, 10:57 AM
P: 14
Hi,

I'm having a lot of difficulty with finding limits of multivariable functions. A question like this comes up every year in the final exam and it will always ask for use of the squeezing theorem.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Suppose that
f(x, y) = 1 +(5x2y3)/x2 + y2

for (x, y) =/= (0, 0)

and that f(0, 0) = 0. By applying the Squeezing Rule to |f(x, y) − 1|, or otherwise, prove

that f(x, y) -> 1 as (x, y) -> (0, 0).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that in order for a limit to exist that no matter what direction we approach (0,0) we must compute the same value. From x-axis and y-axis it seems that the limit is indeed 1. I also get the intuition of squeeze theorem that

lim (x,y) -> (a,b) g(x) <= lim (x,y) -> (a,b) f(x) <= lim (x,y) -> (a,b) h(x)

so lim g(x) = lim h(x) then we have found our lim f(x)

What I'm really confused about is how we set up the squeeze inequality that I see in some textbooks.

Would it be something like this ?

1 =< (5x2y3)/(x2 + y2) <= (I have no idea how you would find an expression on the RHS)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
HallsofIvy
Aug7-11, 11:35 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,510
It's almost impossible to tell what you mean. If you don't want to use LaTeX or html tags, at least use "^" to indicate a power. I think your "5x2y3" is supposed to mean 5x^2y^3. But you also need parentheses. Do you mean
1)1 +((5x^2y^3)/x^2) + y^2
2) (1+ 5x^2y^3)/ (x^2+ y^2)
3) 1+ 5x^2y^3/(x^2+ y^2)?

I suspect you mean the third but I cannot be certain

I recommend casting into polar coordinates, then getting you "squeeze" by observing that sine and cosine are always between -1 and 1.
pbxed
Aug7-11, 11:40 AM
Oh, sorry I did mean the third one. I copied and pasted directly from a pdf file and it messed up the formatting without me realising sorry. Ill try the polar coordinates now thx.

pbxed
Aug7-11, 11:50 AM
Squeeze Theorem - Multivarible question

Okay, So I subbed in x = r cos (alpha) and y = r sin (alpha) and simplified the expression down to

1 + 5r^3(cos(alpha))^2(sin(alpha))^3

My question is, because as the lim r-> 0 then isn't the limit just 1 (which is what I wanted to show) and I wouldn't have to use the squeeze theorem if doing this question in polar coordinates ?

Register to reply