Multivariable continuity using limits

In summary, the author proved that the function ##f(x,y)## is continuous at ##(0,0)## but did not provide a proof that it is continuous in the whole plane.
wololo

Homework Statement

Capture.PNG

Homework Equations

lim(x,y)->(a,b)f(x,y) continuous at (a,b) if lim(x,y)->(a,b)f(x,y)=f(a,b)
Squeeze theorem if lim a=lim c and lim a<= lim b <= lim c then lim b= lim c

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved that all the limits exist but somewhat the functions aren't all continuous. I don't know what I did wrong but the answer I submitted (all continuous) is wrong.

1) using the squeeze theorem on the absolute value of g(x,y) i get 0<= 8x^2y^2/(x^2+y^2) <=8y^2 (since x^2/(x^2+y^2)<1) so the limit at (0,0) is equal to 0, which is also equal to f(0,0), hence the function is continuous

2)I used the squeeze theorem once again and replaced x^3/(x^2+y^2) and am left with limit of 7xsiny which gives 0 so it is continuous

3) I expressed the limit as a substration of two limits, and using the squeeze theorem on each of them got 0. I once again used x^2/(x^2+y^2)<1 and y^2/(x^2+y^2)<1 to get limit of xy - limit of 9y^2 which both equal to 0.

4) using the squeeze theorem and the fact that x^2/(x^2+y^2)<1, I get limit of 6y which equals 0

5) Same as 3

In theory I proved that all the limits exist and are equal to 0 so all the function should be continuous. Does anyone have any clue regarding what I did wrong? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have proven that ##f(x,y)## is continuous at ##(0,0)##. But the problem asks whether it is continuous in the whole plane. For example, look at case 5. What happens if ##x=1## and ##y\to 0## so you are approaching ##(1,0)##? Do you get ##f(1,0)##?

Likes wololo
In case 5, f(1,0) is equal to 0. The limit if we set x=1 will become lim y->0 [6(1)^2y/(1^2+y^2)]=lim y->0 [6y/1+y]=0, so I get the same value.
We need to prove that the function is continuous on the whole plane, however we already know that the given functions are rational functions, so they are continuous at all points except when the denominator is equal to 0. In all the rational functions given, the discontinuity occurs at (0,0), but since we are given a specific value, namely 0, for this point on the plance, we only need to prove continuity at this point. Any input? I think I redid the calculations for 5 correctly but I might be wrong. Thanks!

That wasn't case 5.

Likes wololo
Oh I see I was only checking at (0,0) not for (xi, 0) (0, yi). Thanks!

1. What is multivariable continuity?

Multivariable continuity is a mathematical concept that describes the smoothness or lack of abrupt changes of a function with multiple variables. It means that as the values of all the variables approach a certain point, the value of the function at that point also approaches a certain value.

2. How is continuity of a multivariable function determined?

The continuity of a multivariable function can be determined by evaluating its limits as the variables approach a certain point. If the limit exists and is equal to the value of the function at that point, then the function is continuous at that point.

3. What are the conditions for a multivariable function to be continuous?

For a multivariable function to be continuous at a certain point, it must meet three conditions: the function must be defined at that point, the limit of the function as the variables approach that point must exist, and the limit must be equal to the value of the function at that point.

4. Can a multivariable function be continuous at one point but not at others?

Yes, a multivariable function can be continuous at one point but not at others. This is because continuity is a local property and can vary from point to point. A function can be continuous at one point but not at others if it does not meet the three conditions for continuity at those points.

5. How is multivariable continuity used in real-world applications?

Multivariable continuity is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables and predict their behavior. For example, in physics, multivariable continuity is used to describe the smooth motion of objects in three-dimensional space. In economics, it is used to model the relationships between multiple variables, such as supply and demand.