Register to reply

Can humans live on other planets?

by Aquamarine
Tags: humans, live, planets
Share this thread:
Aquamarine
Nov9-04, 11:33 AM
P: 416
Our bodies may require a gravity that is equal to that of Earth. If so, then it may never be possible to live on other planets. The future of humanity may therefore be in outer space, for example in rotating space stations.

http://www.faqs.org/docs/Newtonian/Newtonian_91.htm

Does anyone know more about this?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Molecular gate that could keep cancer cells locked up
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Man 'expelled from Croatia for punching monk seal'
Fritz
Nov9-04, 01:47 PM
P: 75
Surely the rotating space stations could rotate at the necessary angular velocity to provide us with sufficient centripetal acceleration?

They could use low doses of anabolic (low androgenic) steroids to prevent muscle wastage. Side effects would be minimal (because of the low doses and the specific nature of the steroids that would be used for this purpose).
Phobos
Nov9-04, 04:34 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,020
Quote Quote by Aquamarine
Our bodies may require a gravity that is equal to that of Earth. If so, then it may never be possible to live on other planets.
I think this largely assumes that the person is returning to Earth someday (in which case bone & muscle loss would be difficult once he/she returns to "normal" gravity). If the person is planning permanent colonization (obviously a goal for future generations), then the problem may not be as great.

CharlesP
Nov19-04, 09:13 AM
P: 147
Can humans live on other planets?

Other planets are extremely harsh. We could go there at enormous cost, but humans are not made for other planets. Colonization will await serious biological engineering.
Danniel
Nov26-04, 05:23 PM
P: 13
I also wonder about the effects of different gravity in the embryonic development... I think they grew tadpoles (or a earlier stage, I don't recall) in zero gravity once, and they grew somehow turned in a wrong direction, but I don't remember of other effects, if they completed the development besides that or not...

Register to reply