Evidence for existence of a 9th Planet in the solar system

In summary, the existence of Planet 9 is possible under these arguments of existence of it some where in the out scurt of solar system.
Zeeshan Ahmad
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
On the basis of the orientation of the (KBOs) in kuiper belt orbit in one orientation instead of having random orientation this point enforces that that must exist a planet in the ot scurt of solar system which gravitational field forced the KBOs in one orientation
Could the existence of the 9th planet of the solar system is possible under these arguments of existence of it some where in the out scurt of solar system?

The evidence for Planet 9 comes from its gravitational pull on other bodies. If the planet exists, its gravity will affect the orbits of other planets. So if something seems to be tugging on a planet, just do a bit of math to find the source. This is how Neptune was discovered, when John Couch Adams and Urbain Le Verrier noticed independently that Uranus seemed to be tugged by an unseen planet.
In the case of Planet 9, we don’t have any gravitational effect on a planet.

What we do see is an odd clustering of small icy bodies in the outer solar system known as Kuiper belt objects (KBOs). If there were no planet beyond the Kuiper belt, you would expect the orbits of KBOs to be randomly oriented within the orbital plane of the solar system. But instead, we see lots of KBO orbits are clustered in the same orientation. It’s possible that this is just due to random chance, but that isn’t likely.

Back in 2016, the authors looked at the statistical distribution of KBOs and concluded the clustering was caused by an undetected outer planet. Based on their calculations, this world has a mass of 5 Earths and is about 10 times more distant from the Sun than Neptune. The paper even calculated a broad region of the sky where the planet might be. But searches turned up nothing. This led some to conclude the planet doesn’t exist. Orbital oddness doesn’t prove a planet exists. Just ask Planet Vulcan. Others went so far as to argue Planet 9 does exist, but we can’t see it because it’s a primordial black hole.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Zeeshan Ahmad said:
Summary:: On the basis of the orientation of the (KBOs) in kuiper belt orbit in one orientation instead of having random orientation this point enforces that that must exist a planet in the ot scurt of solar system which gravitational field forced the KBOs in one orientation

Back in 2016, the authors looked at the statistical distribution of KBOs
Did you mean to post a link to this paper? So far I'm not seeing a link in your post. Thanks.

Likes Zeeshan Ahmad
Last edited by a moderator:
berkeman said:
It looks like this is a link to the actual journal article:

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/0004-6256/151/2/22
Their are multiple journal article on this one of them I shared with you and I have also seen this article journal this is very informative

I would like to have your opinion on this the theoretical evidence for the possibility of 9th planet given by Konstantin Batygin and Michael E. Brown ?

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
but we can’t see it because it’s a primordial black hole.
That's kind of a stretch. Sure, a baseball sized PBH could cause these indirect effects. Or not. Or it was something else. Or not. You certainly don't need to invoke PBH's to explain why you can't see a mini-Neptuine way out there.

PBH's have two problems - there are too many of them and too few. Limits on PBH's of this size are about 2% of the observed dark matter. Too few. But 2% means 1600 or so of them per sun-like star. Where are they? Too many.

• Informative
Likes sophiecentaur and berkeman
Yes by the definition or explain of primordial black hole (which are initial time produced black hole which reduces to very small size by evaporating radiation (hoking radiation) they reach such small size or even smaller but having very large density)
you could say such a small size of PBH's could produce such efforts as for the fact that these background black matter is not detectable that provides a space of uncertainty which some scientists searchers relate to for this oddnes in behaviour

I don't understand what you said, but Hawking radiation is irrelevant for 5 Earth mass black holes.

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
So if something seems to be tugging on a planet, just do a bit of math to find the source. This is how Neptune was discovered, when John Couch Adams and Urbain Le Verrier noticed independently that Uranus seemed to be tugged by an unseen planet.
If "Planet 9" exists it would be MUCH further out, and due to it's distance from the Sun will also have a tiny amount of light bouncing off it if any at all. It's not going to be easy to find if it's there as it will be soo dark.

The distance is very great indeed which almost makes it impossible for us to detect the very small portion of light it reflects as a means to detect such a off to Planet

I think that such reflects light from such a distant planet will defuse of on the way that might make it not detectable

So some alternative method could be used to find it

Maybe in future some how we will find the planet which is expected to be the reason for this oddnes in the or we will find the alternative reason behind KBOs orbits

Vanadium 50 said:
don't understand what you said, but Hawking radiation is irrelevant for 5 Earth mass black holes.

This link make you better understand PBHs

And in my above stated post i am not emphasizing on anyone probable I have have given different possibilities which different researcher have given

I'm not going to wade through a video to find out what part you are misunderstanding. If it's not worth your time to summarize it, why is it worth my time to sit through it?

Hawking radiation is not relevant fro 5 Earth mass black holes.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not going to wade through a video to find out what part you are misunderstanding. If it's not worth your time to summarize it, why is it worth my time to sit through it?
I have summerize the facts which was relatives in the above posts but when you sad i didn't understand than I provided the source to make it understandable but
I don't understand why are you still insisting on and your such format of communication will not make it understandable for you

Because I am not getting the point to which your misunderstanding me

Last edited:
Zeeshan Ahmad said:
I think V50's point is that five Earth mass black holes don't lose mass. Black holes above approximately the mass of the moon gain more mass from absorbing the cosmic microwave background than they lose to Hawking radiation, so are growing not shrinking.

He also points out that small black holes are not a sufficient explanation for dark matter. There can't be enough of them to explain all the dark matter, and if there were many of them we'd expect to have seen one by now.

Zeeshan Ahmad said:
Oh, I think you have.

Vanadium 50 said:
Oh, I think you have
Oh mr Vanadium 50
If only just the point was hawking radiation then we are gone out of context to explain PBH
But the main discussion was is the possibility of 9th planet is to what extent possible?

1. Is there any physical evidence for the existence of a 9th planet in our solar system?

Yes, there is evidence that suggests the existence of a 9th planet in our solar system. In 2016, astronomers at Caltech presented evidence for a large, distant planet with a mass about 10 times that of Earth. This evidence was based on the unusual orbits of several objects in the Kuiper Belt, a region beyond Neptune.

2. What is the proposed name for this 9th planet?

The proposed name for this 9th planet is "Planet Nine". This name was chosen by the researchers at Caltech who first presented evidence for its existence.

3. How far is Planet Nine from the Sun?

Based on the proposed orbit of Planet Nine, it is estimated to be about 20 times farther from the Sun than Neptune. This would make it the farthest planet in our solar system.

4. Could Planet Nine be a rogue planet?

No, it is unlikely that Planet Nine is a rogue planet. Rogue planets are those that do not orbit around a star and instead drift through space. The proposed orbit of Planet Nine suggests that it is still gravitationally bound to our Sun.

5. When will we be able to confirm the existence of Planet Nine?

At this time, there is no definite timeline for confirming the existence of Planet Nine. Further observations and studies are needed to gather more evidence and determine its exact location and characteristics. It may take several years before we have a confirmed answer.