by aeson25
Tags: coordinate, tensor, transformations
Share this thread:
aeson25
Aug12-11, 11:44 AM
P: 7
In school I've always learned that tensor transformations took the form of:

[tex]\mathbf{Q'}=\mathbf{M} \times \mathbf{Q} \times \mathbf{M}^T [/tex]

However, in all the recent papers I've been reading. They've been doing the transformation as:

[tex]\mathbf{Q'}= \frac {\mathbf{M} \times \mathbf{Q} \times \mathbf{M}^T}{det(\mathbf{M})}[/tex]

Where Q is the tensor in question and M is the transformation matrix and M^T is the transpose of M.

Does anyone know why the difference?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Ben Niehoff
Aug12-11, 01:29 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,594
Such on object is properly called a "tensor density". Specifically, it is a "tensor density of weight -1", since the determinant appears with the power -1.
aeson25
Aug12-11, 02:14 PM
I can't seem to find a clear definition of "tensor density" online. How does this differ (or provide an advantage) (practically, not mathematically) from a regular coordinate transformation? FYI, I'm trying to follow the transformation of a anisotropic density (actual matter density) in a paper.

Ben Niehoff
Aug12-11, 02:18 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,594
Tensor transformations for change of coordinate system

Did you even try Googling it? For your claim that you "can't find it", I have serious doubts.
aeson25
Aug15-11, 11:40 AM
Of course I tried googling it. I didn't say I didn't find ANY definitions, I said I couldn't find a CLEAR definition which included information pertaining to the entirety of the second sentence of my last post with an emphasis on the parenthetical parts. The online definitions basically say its a coordinate transformation with a weight to it based on a Jacobian determinant. Big whoop, those definitions tell me nothing about why it's used over a normal transformations. Why use a weight of -1 rather than 1000?

Register to reply