Share this thread:
logearav
Aug14-11, 04:07 PM
P: 335
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://www.xamidea.in/cbse-examinati...638&info=title

2. Relevant equations

Dear members,
In this link, forces f2 and f4 are equal and opposite but they have same line of action
forces f1 and f3 are also equal and opposite but they have different line of action.
I dont understand how f1 and f3 have different line of action and f2 and f4 have same line of action, because both in both cases forces are equal and opposite
Please help me understand this concept of line of action of force, revered members

3. The attempt at a solution
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
bp_psy
Aug14-11, 04:32 PM
P: 452
The problem I think you have is because the first image is a little confusing since it doesn't give any feeling of 3d space. You must consider both figs and apply the LHR you can see that both F1 and F3 are parallel and both perpendicular to the B field but they are not doth on any single line perpendicular to the B field.They do not act on the same line except when the B field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop.
logearav
Aug18-11, 12:20 AM
Sir, Thanks for the reply. I got it 80 % now, after re reading your reply. But one more doubt, that is, the second diagram shows F1 and F3 in upward and downward directions but in the first diagram, they are projecting outward to the sides of the loop. Why such a difference between the first and second diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
image083.jpg   image084.jpg  

logearav
Aug18-11, 12:23 AM
Line of action of force

"but they are not DOTH on any single line perpendicular to the B field.They do not act on the same line except when the B field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop."

I dont understand this line of your reply sir. What do u mean by DOTH?
bp_psy
Aug19-11, 02:55 PM
P: 452
Quote Quote by logearav View Post
Sir, Thanks for the reply. I got it 80 % now, after re reading your reply. But one more doubt, that is, the second diagram shows F1 and F3 in upward and downward directions but in the first diagram, they are projecting outward to the sides of the loop. Why such a difference between the first and second diagram.
There isn't any difference. The first diagram shows you the loop from the side of the loop ,you are looking towards the yz plane. The second shows you the loop at the same time from above ,you are looking at the xy plane. The problem is that the first diagram makes F1 and F3 look like they are not perpendicular to the B field. This is not what happens, the forces are always perpendicular to the B field and the current.It is just a bad diagram with no axes. .

Quote Quote by logearav View Post
What do u mean by DOTH.
Sorry it was a typo,I meant "BOTH".
logearav
Aug20-11, 12:39 AM
Thanks a lot sir. What a beautiful explanation! I wonder why my physics teacher does not know all these things. Thanks again sir.

Register to reply