Please help with PHYS-1 Problem Forces/Static/Equilibrium

• Thread starter StudyBuddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the forces on the balance beam due to support 1 and support 2 can be calculated using Newton's second law and the equation for torque. Assuming equilibrium and using unit-vector notation, the forces can be represented as F1 for support 1, F2 for support 2, F3 for the gravitational force in the center of the beam, and F4 for the force of the gymnast at the end. After setting up the equations and simplifying, the calculated force F1 is 1150.52N. However, it is important to note that there may have been some errors in the calculations and the signs of the forces should be taken into consideration.
StudyBuddy
A gymnast with mass 56.5 kg stands on the end of a uniform balance beam as shown in the figure below. The beam is 5.00 m long and has a mass of 250 kg (excluding the mass of the two supports). Each support is 0.530 m from its end of the beam. In unit-vector notation, what are the forces on the beam due to support 1 and support 2?
12-p-076.gif

Homework Equations

F=ma
Torque=I*alpha

and where there is no acceleration, the sums are equal to 0.

Setting up the forces as the following:
F1 = support 1
F2 = support 2
F3 = gravitational force in center of beam
F4 = force of the gymnast at the end

I used Newton 2 for the sum of the forces in equilibrium (acceleration = 0)...
F1+F2+F3+F4=ma=0 where F3 = (250kg*g), F4=(56.5kg*g)
F1+F2+306.5g=0
1.) F2=-F1-306.5g
Then Newton II for sum of the torques... Where L is the length of the beam, and point I will rotate is located at the point where the gymnast is, so I can simplify the calculations.

2.)F1*4.47m +F3*2.5m+F2*0.053m=0

Next, I plugged 1( solved F2) into (2)

Simplifying, I get F1=1150.52N
Please help, and thank you in advance for you time and generosity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For one, your work indicates that the support posts are positioned L/6 from the ends, but that isn't what is given in the problem. But it looks like your set up of the problem is good. I just think you made some errors in working through your equations. Based on the geometry of the problem, F1 is going to be less than F2. So yeah, your 2588 N for F1 is going to be too high.

Likes StudyBuddy
What're you doing here?

I used Newton 2 for the sum of the forces in equilibrium (acceleration = 0)...
F1+F2+F3+F4=ma=0 where F3 = (250kg*g), F4=(56.5kg*g)
F1+F2+306.5g=0

You're writing it in terms of g? Why're all the signs positive? Did you draw a force diagram?

Likes StudyBuddy
I finally figured it out...

Yes, I just implicated g= -9.8m/s^2
Thank you both for your replies

Student100 said:
You're writing it in terms of g? Why're all the signs positive? Did you draw a force diagram?

Yeah, I was going to comment on that also. I prefer to define the forces in the direction that I know (or think) they will be in reality. In this problem, you can know ahead of time, based on the geometry, the direction of all of the forces. So I would have written F1 + F2 = F3 + F4.

Also, when I do torque calculations, rather than summing all of the forces to equal 0, it is easier for me to do CW = CCW, based on the direction that I defined all of the forces. But that is just my personal preference. I just like positive numbers better than negative numbers. :)

1. What is the difference between forces and static equilibrium in physics?

In physics, forces refer to any interaction that can change the motion or shape of an object. Static equilibrium, on the other hand, refers to the state in which an object remains at rest or in a constant state of uniform motion due to balanced forces acting on it.

2. How do I determine the net force acting on an object in a static equilibrium?

To determine the net force in a static equilibrium, you need to draw a free body diagram of the object and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, use Newton's first law of motion, which states that the net force on an object at rest must be equal to zero.

3. What is the significance of resolving forces in physics?

Resolving forces refers to the process of breaking down a single force into its horizontal and vertical components. This is important in physics as it allows us to analyze the individual effects of different forces on an object and determine the net force acting on it.

4. Can you provide an example of a problem involving forces, static equilibrium, and resolving forces?

Sure, let's say you have a book sitting on a table. The weight of the book is acting downwards, while the normal force from the table is acting upwards. These two forces are balanced, resulting in a static equilibrium. However, if the book starts to slide off the table, the weight will have a horizontal component, and the normal force will have a vertical component, resulting in an unbalanced force and causing the book to fall.

5. How can I apply the concept of static equilibrium to real-life situations?

Static equilibrium is present in many real-life situations, such as a bridge supporting the weight of cars or a tower supporting the weight of its own structure. By understanding the principles of static equilibrium, we can design and construct structures that are stable and safe to use.