Share this thread:
courtrigrad
Nov11-04, 09:27 PM
P: 1,236
Hello all

I am having trouble proving the limit of the following:

lim sqrt(( n+1) - sqrt(n)) * sqrt(n+ 1/2 ) = 1/2
n --> 00

I tried using the fact the the limit of the first factor as n approaches infinity is 0. Then I tried expressing the first factor as

1 / sqrt(n+1) + sqrt(n) and doing the same thing for the other

factor. However I always get stuck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
FIXD tells car drivers via smartphone what is wrong
Team pioneers strategy for creating new materials
Team defines new biodiversity metric
Tide
Nov11-04, 10:58 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 3,144
As you have written the expression the limit does not exist. I suspect you meant something else.
courtrigrad
Nov12-04, 03:17 PM
lim (sqrt( n+1) - sqrt(n)) * sqrt(n+ 1/2 ) = 1/2
n --> 00

Yegor
Nov12-04, 03:36 PM
P: 147
Proof of limit involving square root

I trhink so:
lim (sqrt( n+1) - sqrt(n)) * sqrt(n+ 1/2 ) =
=lim (sqrt( n+1) - sqrt(n)) *(sqrt( n+1) + sqrt(n)) * sqrt(n+ 1/2 ) /(sqrt( n+1) + sqrt(n)) = lim sqrt(n+ 1/2 )/(sqrt( n+1) + sqrt(n))=1/2
NateTG
Nov12-04, 04:47 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,537
Quote Quote by courtrigrad
lim (sqrt( n+1) - sqrt(n)) * sqrt(n+ 1/2 ) = 1/2
n --> 00
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} (\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n}) \sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}=[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{((n+1)-n)\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}=[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}=[/tex]

Now
[tex]2 \sqrt{n+1} > \sqrt{n+1} + \sqrt{n} > 2 \sqrt{n}[/tex]
so
[tex]\frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{2\sqrt{n+1}} < \frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} <
\frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{2\sqrt{n}}[/tex]
so
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{2\sqrt{n+1}} \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} \leq \frac{1}{2}\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{2\sqrt{n}} [/tex]
so
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{n+\frac{1}{2}}{n+1}} \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} \leq \frac{1}{2}\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\sqrt{\frac{n+\frac{1}{2}}{n}}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{2}\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sqrt{1 - \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{n+1}} \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{2} \frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} \leq\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{1}{2}\sqrt{1 + \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{n}}[/tex]
But now the limits on the RHS and LHS are pretty obviously 1 so we have:
[tex]\frac{1}{2} \leq \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} \leq \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
so the limit is [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
courtrigrad
Nov13-04, 10:20 AM
Thanks a lot for the very elegant solution!!!
maverick280857
Nov14-04, 03:05 AM
P: 1,780
Quote Quote by NateTG
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} (\sqrt{n+1} - \sqrt{n}) \sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}=[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{((n+1)-n)\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}=[/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}}=[/tex]
Actually I'd just stop there (I'm not saying Nate's solution is large or anything but here's another way to "see" where the limit is going). I'd then divide the numerator and the denominator by the square root of n to get

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{n+\frac{1}{2}}}{\sqrt{n+1}+\sqrt{n}} = \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \frac{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{2n}}}{\sqrt{1+\frac{1}{n}}+1} [/tex]

Taking limits gives (1/2) as the answer. You can recognize the original limit as an indeterminate form and divide by the arbitrarily growing variable n to get to the same thing.

I should mention however, that the sandwiching approach used by NateTG is far more elegant than this "trick" here (which gives you the answer but not an insight).

Cheers
Vivek

Register to reply