Normalisation constants with ladder operators

In summary, the conversation discussed the previous part which showed that ##a_+ \psi_n = i\sqrt{(n+1)\hbar \omega} \psi_{n+1}## by using the integral $$\int |a_+ \psi_n|^2 dx = \int \psi_n^* (a_{-} a_+ \psi_n) dx = E+\frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega = \hbar \omega(n+1)$$ and the constant of proportionality between ##a_+ \psi_n## and ##\psi_{n+1}## was determined to be ##\sqrt{\hbar \omega(n+1)}##. The conversation then
etotheipi
Homework Statement
The wave function of a particle in a harmonic potential is an expansion of terms of the form$$\psi_n(x) = A_n (a_+)^n e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar }x^2}$$Determine the coefficients ##A_n##

Answer: $$A_n = \left (\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} \frac{(-i)^n}{\sqrt{n!(\hbar \omega)^n}}$$
Relevant Equations
N/A
The previous part was to show that ##a_+ \psi_n = i\sqrt{(n+1)\hbar \omega} \psi_{n+1}##, which I just did by looking at$$\int |a_+ \psi_n|^2 dx = \int \psi_n^* (a_{-} a_+ \psi_n) dx = E+\frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega = \hbar \omega(n+1)$$so the constant of proportionality between ##a_+ \psi_n## and ##\psi_{n+1}## will have modulus ##\sqrt{\hbar \omega(n+1)}##. Then it asks to determine the normalisation constant ##A_n##, so I looked at the lowest energy state first$$\psi_0 = A_0 e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}x^2}$$ $$\int |\psi_0|^2 dx = |A_0|^2 \int e^{-\frac{m\omega}{\hbar}x^2} dx = |A_0|^2 \sqrt{\frac{\pi \hbar}{m\omega}} = 1 \implies |A_0| = \left (\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}}$$where I used the result for the Gaussian integral without proof. Then I just assumed that since ##\psi## can always be taken to be real, we can just take ##A_0 = \left (\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}}##. Then using the previous result, we would have$$\psi_n = \left( \frac{a_+}{i\sqrt{\hbar \omega(n+1)}} \right)^n \left (\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar} \right)^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar}x^2}$$Edit: On second thoughts, this equation is obviously incorrect, because I don't account for the fact that ##n## is different (not constant) each time we apply the operator

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not an area I know anything about, but I see you need a factorial in the answer, and you have some relationship between ##a_+ψ_n## and ##ψ_{n+1}## that involves a factor n+1. This suggests finding the relationship between ##(a_+)^{n+1}ψ_0## and ##ψ_{n+1}##.

Likes etotheipi
@haruspex you are absolutely right, I realize my mistake... it should be$$\psi_n = A_n (a_+)^n e^{-\frac{m\omega}{2\hbar }x^2} = \frac{A_n}{A_0} (a_+)^n \psi_0$$and then we expand it up to ##\psi_n##, using the fact that ##a_+ \psi_0 = i\sqrt{\hbar \omega} \psi_1##, ##a_+ \psi_1 = i\sqrt{2\hbar \omega} \psi_2##, etc. so that$$\psi_n = \frac{A_n}{A_0} (i\sqrt{\hbar \omega})(i\sqrt{2\hbar \omega})\dots(i\sqrt{n\hbar \omega}) = \frac{A_n}{A_0} i^n \sqrt{n! (\hbar \omega)^2}$$

etotheipi said:
The previous part was to show that ##a_+ \psi_n = i\sqrt{(n+1)\hbar \omega} \psi_{n+1}##, which I just did by looking at$$\int |a_+ \psi_n|^2 dx = \int \psi_n^* (a_{-} a_+ \psi_n) dx = E+\frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega = \hbar \omega(n+1)$$so the constant of proportionality between ##a_+ \psi_n## and ##\psi_{n+1}## will have modulus ##\sqrt{\hbar \omega(n+1)}##.

Are you sure about that?

• Wow
Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
Are you sure about that?

I was... but not so much any more! The schroedinger equation in ladder operator form looks like$$(a_+ a_- - \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega) \psi_n = E_n \psi_n$$So I said that$$\int (a_+ \psi_n)^* (a_+ \psi_n) dx = \int \psi_n^* (a_+ a_- \psi_n) dx = (E_n + \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega) \int \psi_n^* \psi_n dx = (E_n + \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega) = \hbar \omega (n+1)$$We are to expect that ##a_+ \psi_n = c\psi_{n+1}##, so $$\int |c|^2 |\psi_{n}|^2 dx = |c|^2$$and the modulus of the proportionality constant would be$$|c| = \sqrt{\hbar \omega(n+1)}$$

etotheipi said:
I was... but not so much any more! The schroedinger equation in ladder operator form looks like$$(a_+ a_- + \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega) \psi_n = E_n \psi_n$$So I said that$$\int (a_+ \psi_n)^* (a_+ \psi_n) dx = \int \psi_n^* (a_+ a_- \psi_n) dx = (E_n + \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega) \int \psi_n^* \psi_n dx = (E_n + \frac{1}{2}\hbar \omega) = \hbar \omega (n+1)$$We are to expect that ##a_+ \psi_n = c\psi_{n+1}##, so $$\int |c|^2 |\psi_{n}|^2 dx = |c|^2$$and the modulus of the proportionality constant would be$$|c| = \sqrt{\hbar \omega(n+1)}$$
Usually we have:
$$a_+ \psi_n = \sqrt{n+1} \psi_{n+1}$$
You must be using something non-standard somewhere.

PS It must be the definition of ##a_+##.

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
The previous part was to show that ##a_+ \psi_n = i\sqrt{(n+1)\hbar \omega} \psi_{n+1}##,

I haven't seen this before. Where is this from out of interest?

Likes etotheipi
PeroK said:
I haven't seen this before. Where is this from out of interest?

Here is the original problem statement for the first part:

1596895348529.png

PeroK said:
PS It must be the definition of ##a_+##.

For trouble-shooting purposes, Griffiths has defined ##a_+## to be the operator$$a_+ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m}} \left( \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} + I am \omega x\right)$$

etotheipi said:
Here is the original problem statement for the first part:

View attachment 267474
For trouble-shooting purposes, Griffiths has defined ##a_+## to be the operator$$a_+ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2m}} \left( \frac{\hbar}{i} \frac{d}{dx} + I am \omega x\right)$$
Is that an old edition?

Likes etotheipi
Yeah, it's older than me. I wonder what the more modern definition of the ladder operators are?

What is the purpose of normalisation constants in ladder operators?

Normalisation constants in ladder operators are used to ensure that the probabilities of all possible states of a system add up to 1. This is important in quantum mechanics, where the total probability of all states must be 1.

How are normalisation constants calculated in ladder operators?

Normalisation constants in ladder operators are calculated by finding the square root of the sum of the squares of the coefficients in the ladder operator expression. This ensures that the total probability of all states is equal to 1.

Why are normalisation constants important in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, normalisation constants are important because they ensure that the probabilities of all possible states of a system add up to 1. This allows for accurate predictions and calculations of the behavior of quantum systems.

What happens if the normalisation constant is not included in the ladder operator expression?

If the normalisation constant is not included in the ladder operator expression, the total probability of all states will not be equal to 1. This can lead to inaccurate predictions and calculations in quantum mechanics.

Can normalisation constants change over time in quantum systems?

Yes, normalisation constants can change over time in quantum systems. This is because the coefficients in the ladder operator expression can change depending on the state of the system, and therefore the normalisation constant will also change accordingly.