Finding Node Voltages Using the Node Method

by erok81
Tags: method, node, voltages
Share this thread:
erok81
Aug31-11, 08:20 PM
P: 463
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the node voltages for the circuit shown.

2. Relevant equations

See attachment.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have chosen my ground node as the set of nodes in the bottom of the image and labeled all of my unknown voltages as en.

Here is what I have so far. Where G = 1/R

For the node labeled e1:

(e1-v0)G1 + e1(G3) + (e1-e2)I1 + (e1-e2)G2=0

For the node labeled e2:

(e2-e1)(-I2) + e2(G4) + (e2-e1)G2=0

I am pretty sure my problem lies in the way I am handling the currents in the node. I started plugging in numbers after I simplified it all and one of my unknown voltages went away. After that I looked at it again and knew I was doing it wrong. Most of the examples in the book don't deal with a current parallel to a resistor.

I think the way I should have done it is rather than subtracting voltages and multiplying like I am doing with the resistor nodes, is just take the current by itself.

So in my above equation e1)(-I1) would just become -I1 since I am not using ohms law for current. I think I only need current? Does that sound better?
Attached Thumbnails
circuit.png  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
gneill
Aug31-11, 10:23 PM
Mentor
P: 11,683
Quote Quote by erok81 View Post
I am pretty sure my problem lies in the way I am handling the currents in the node. I started plugging in numbers after I simplified it all and one of my unknown voltages went away. After that I looked at it again and knew I was doing it wrong. Most of the examples in the book don't deal with a current parallel to a resistor.

I think the way I should have done it is rather than subtracting voltages and multiplying like I am doing with the resistor nodes, is just take the current by itself.

So in my above equation e1)(-I1) would just become -I1 since I am not using ohms law for current. I think I only need current? Does that sound better?
Yup. Much better. Voltage x current yields power, not a current, so is quite unsuitable for a KCL expression!
erok81
Sep1-11, 01:26 PM
P: 463
Perfect! Thanks for the help.

It seems half the time I post problems, I get them mostly figured out just typing the post up. :)

gneill
Sep1-11, 02:51 PM
Mentor
P: 11,683
Finding Node Voltages Using the Node Method

Quote Quote by erok81 View Post
It seems half the time I post problems, I get them mostly figured out just typing the post up. :)
Yup. Typing it out so that it make sense to someone else can often help one re-evaluate one's logic and assumptions.

Register to reply