Confused about defining unique current loops when using the node voltage method

In summary, the conversation discusses using the node voltage method to write equations for a circuit with multiple paths, and the importance of choosing four distinct and independent loops to avoid redundancy. It also mentions tips for using Kirchhoff's Voltage and Current Laws effectively.
Edy56
Homework Statement
Write equations using node voltage method
Relevant Equations
none
Please only respond if you know the node voltage method.
I need to write equations for this circuit. My problem is that 1 has two paths towards 3, so when I write equations do I write both of those paths or only one.
U30(1(-jXc1)+1/(jXl1+R1)+1/(jXl2)-U10((1/(-jXc1)+1/(R1+jXl1))-U20.... (the rest is unimportant rn).
or
U30(1(-jXc1)+1/(jXl2)-U10((1/(-jXc1))-U20...
node.png

Physics news on Phys.org
There are 4 unique loops in that network. You are free to choose any set of 4 loops as long as you don't repeat any of them. All will yield the same result in the end.

PS: A fifth loop equation will be redundant. Not wrong but useless.

Likes FactChecker and hutchphd
I would phrase that differently. There are always four distinct paths. There are many sets thereof: all will lead to the same result.

Likes FactChecker
As long as each loop has something unique that is not in the others, and all parts are included in some loop, it will work out. That means you will have 4 independent (not redundant) equations that describe the entire system. The solution will be the same.

Edy56 said:
Please only respond if you know the node voltage method.
One tip about using KVL is to always choose your loops in one direction (I prefer clockwise myself). It will help to avoid making errors when writing the equations.

It's similar when using KCL -- I always write my node equations with the current *leaving* the node.

hutchphd said:
I would phrase that differently. There are always four distinct paths. There are many sets thereof: all will lead to the same result.
Yes. The word unique is completely wrong. There are lots of unique loops, much more than four (10, I think). But only 4 (any 4) are independent.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the node voltage method?

The node voltage method is a technique used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node in a circuit. It involves using Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law to create a system of equations that can be solved to find the unknown node voltages.

2. How do I define unique current loops when using the node voltage method?

To define unique current loops, you first need to identify all the branches in the circuit. Each branch represents a potential current loop. Then, assign a direction to each loop and label the corresponding currents. The number of unique current loops will be equal to the number of branches in the circuit.

3. Why is it important to define unique current loops?

Defining unique current loops is important because it helps in setting up the equations for the node voltage method. Each loop represents a unique equation, and by defining them, we can ensure that we have enough equations to solve for all the unknown node voltages in the circuit.

4. Can there be more than one unique current loop in a circuit?

Yes, there can be more than one unique current loop in a circuit. In fact, the number of unique current loops will be equal to the number of branches in the circuit. This is because each branch represents a potential current loop, and the direction of the current can be chosen arbitrarily.

5. What happens if I do not define unique current loops correctly?

If you do not define unique current loops correctly, you may end up with more equations than unknowns, making the system unsolvable. This can also lead to incorrect solutions for the node voltages. Therefore, it is important to carefully define the current loops in order to accurately apply the node voltage method.