AC - Node Voltage Method for difficult circuit

In summary: The first equation is the voltage gain of the first circuit. The second equation is the voltage loss of the first circuit. The third equation is the voltage gain of the second circuit. The fourth equation is the voltage loss of the second circuit.
devmew
Hi!
I'm trying to understand and solve this circuit by Node Voltage Method. I have to calculate u(t). In my mind, I don't have any idea if any current should go through Z1 in my calculations.
I would be grateful if you could write even equations for this circuit. Is 'a' just a prefix to multiply the value of voltage source? (z is the letter for 'complex' in my language).

Data:
iz(t)=2cos(2t−45°) A C1=1/2 [F] C2=1/3 [F] L1=1[H] L2=3[H]
R3=2[Ω] R4=1[Ω] a=1/2 [V/V]

1.jpg
2.jpg

My calculations:
Iz=1+j; ω=2rad/s; Z1=j; Z2=-2jThank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums. :smile:

Is a*u(t) a VCVS? That seems like a non-standard voltage source symbol, but it does look like you are using a different symbol for the iz(t) source...

Also, I don't see how the 2nd circuit follows from the first, but I could be missing something. Were you given the 1st circuit and you wanted to simplify it via the 2nd diagram?

Likes devmew
a=e^(-j*2*π/3)=cos(-2*π/3)+jsin(-2*π/3)

I=√2.[cos(-45o)+j.sin(-45o)]=1-j

Attachments

• 1-j.jpg
    1-j.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 160
@berkeman a*u(t) is only hint, needed to calculations. It describes the relationship between voltage source and voltage on resistor. 'a' is just a coefficient. I was given the first circuit and I wanted to simplify it via 2nd diagram.
@Babadag I'm looking to get the value u(t) in function of sinx. So, I changed it into sin function.
$$i_z(t)=2cos(2t-45°)=2sin(2t-45°+90°)=2sin(2t+45°)$$
$$I_z=\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(cos(45°)+j sin(45°))=\frac{2}{\sqrt{2}}(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+j\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2})=1+j$$

a*u(t) is the voltage source, and iz(t) is the power source. I'm sorry, I didn't know the worldwide symbols.

$$Z_1=\frac{1}{jωC_1}+jωL_1=\frac{1}{j}+2j=-j+2j=j$$
$$\frac{1}{Z_2}=\frac{1}{jωL_2}+jωC_2$$
$$Z_2=\frac{6}{3j}=-2j$$

Last edited:

1. What is the AC - Node Voltage Method?

The AC - Node Voltage Method is a technique used to analyze complex circuits with multiple sources and nodes. It involves writing and solving a system of equations using Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to determine the voltage at each node in the circuit.

2. When is the AC - Node Voltage Method used?

The AC - Node Voltage Method is typically used when analyzing circuits with multiple sources and nodes, as it allows for a systematic approach to solving the circuit. It is also useful when dealing with circuits that contain dependent sources, as it can handle these types of sources more easily than other methods.

3. How is the AC - Node Voltage Method different from the Mesh Current Method?

The AC - Node Voltage Method and the Mesh Current Method are both techniques used to analyze circuits. The main difference between them is that the AC - Node Voltage Method focuses on finding the voltage at each node in the circuit, while the Mesh Current Method focuses on finding the current through each mesh in the circuit.

4. What are the advantages of using the AC - Node Voltage Method?

Some advantages of using the AC - Node Voltage Method include its ability to handle circuits with multiple sources and nodes, its systematic approach to solving the circuit, and its ability to handle dependent sources. It also allows for easier analysis of complex circuits compared to other methods.

5. Are there any limitations to using the AC - Node Voltage Method?

One limitation of the AC - Node Voltage Method is that it can become more complex and time-consuming when dealing with circuits with a large number of nodes. It also requires a good understanding of Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to be able to set up and solve the system of equations correctly. Additionally, it may not be the most efficient method for certain types of circuits, such as circuits with a large number of parallel branches.