Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity

In summary, the combination of quantum mechanics and general relativity can result in the concept of time being an illusion, but this is not a widely accepted theory. In canonical quantum gravity, the wave function does not depend on time, but this does not necessarily mean that time does not exist. Further research and reading is recommended to gain a better understanding of this topic.
Zerko
I saw that if you combine the quantum mechanics theory whit the general relativity you remain whitout time. So the time can be an ilusion, but i don't believe that . What you think about it ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zerko said:
I saw that if you combine the quantum mechanics theory whit the general relativity you remain whitout time. So the time can be an ilusion, but i don't believe that . What you think about it ?

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Zerko!

There is no generally accepted theory which combines these two theories. There are a number of "promising" ideas being kicked around, but I would not say that time disappears in these. Is there a specific version you have questions about?

If you saw it on TV, frequently they use language to describe the quantum world which tends to be a little bit sensational. I would recommend you read up some more to gain insight, there are some good books out there!

In canonical quantum gravity (which is a wide class of various approaches to quantum gravity), the wave function does not depend on time. So if the wave function is all what exists, then nothing depends on time. Or more precisely, nothing depends on a FUNDAMENTAL parameter of time. Yet clocks exist, so EMERGENT time still can be explained with such theories.

1. What is the difference between Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

Quantum Mechanics is a scientific theory that describes the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions, while General Relativity is a theory that explains the behavior of large objects in the universe, such as planets and galaxies. They are both fundamental theories in physics, but they operate on different scales and have different mathematical frameworks.

2. Can Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity be unified?

Currently, there is no unified theory that combines Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity. Scientists are still working to develop a theory of quantum gravity that can reconcile the two theories and explain the behavior of particles and objects at both small and large scales.

3. How does Quantum Mechanics affect our daily lives?

Quantum Mechanics has many practical applications in modern technology, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in understanding various natural phenomena, such as chemical reactions and the behavior of materials.

4. Why is it difficult to reconcile Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity?

The two theories have different mathematical formulations and are based on different principles. Quantum Mechanics is based on probabilities and discrete energy levels, while General Relativity is based on continuous space-time and the curvature of space. These differences make it challenging to find a unified theory that can explain both at the same time.

5. How does Quantum Mechanics challenge our understanding of reality?

Quantum Mechanics has several counterintuitive concepts, such as entanglement and superposition, that challenge our classical understanding of reality. It suggests that particles can exist in multiple states simultaneously and that their behavior is inherently unpredictable, which can be difficult for us to grasp with our everyday experiences.