Molecular Orbital energy levels

by Duane
Tags: energy, levels, molecular, orbital
Share this thread:
Duane
Dec11-11, 07:01 AM
P: 8
Hi everyone
I'm currently studying the MO theory and ran into some trouble understanding orbital energy levels.

As I have previously read, σ bonds are stronger than ∏ bonds, therefore are lower in orbital energy. However, from the MO theory, the σ2p orbital is actually higher in energy than the ∏2p orbital in molecules like B2 and N2. But in molecules like O2 and F2, this sequence is reversed, with the ∏2p orbital having the higher orbital energy.

Can anyone tell me why?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
DrDu
Dec12-11, 05:56 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,567
a) I think you are referring to the anti-bonding orbitals, not the bonding ones.
b) the sigma bonds are not formed from pure p orbitals but from a superposition of 2s and 2p orbitals. The energetic distance of the 2s and 2p orbitals increases from left to right in a period, which explains the interchange of the energetic ordering of the molecular orbitals.

Register to reply