Effect of space of human body

by BrigetJameson
Tags: body, effect, human, space
BrigetJameson
Dec12-11, 08:36 PM
P: 3
Would someone with a disorder that results in the inability to carry the total of 4 hemoglobin per RBC survive longer in space without a suit (even if just a fraction of a second) than someone with 100% hemoglobin carrying potential due to their decreased O2 level?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
DaveC426913
Dec12-11, 08:42 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by BrigetJameson View Post
Would someone with a disorder that results in the inability to carry the total of 4 hemoglobin per RBC survive longer in space without a suit (even if just a fraction of a second) than someone with 100% hemoglobin carrying potential due to their decreased O2 level?
Why would having less of an ability to maintain oxygen result in them surviving longer?
Drakkith
Dec12-11, 09:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,006
Considering that you would die of asphyxiation I would guess that no, it would not, as you would have less oxygen in your blood and still be consuming the same amount as a normal person.

BrigetJameson
Dec12-11, 09:34 PM

Effect of space of human body

I was wondering if it would result in less of an expansion of the body
Drakkith
Dec12-11, 09:53 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by BrigetJameson View Post
I was wondering if it would result in less of an expansion of the body
No. Once oxygen binds inside your blood cells it is no longer a gas. Also, expansion of the body has nothing to do with how long your live in space. Your skin expands but is still airtight, so you aren't bursting at the seams or anything like that. You will lose consciousness quickly and then die from lack of oxygen.
BrigetJameson
Dec13-11, 03:50 AM
Thank you. I guess I don't understand why the body expands to begin with. It was explained in class that it is due to how has air pressure as opposed to the lack of any in space.

Can anyone explain why there is any expansion?
Drakkith
Dec13-11, 05:34 AM
PF Gold
Your body fluids have gasses dissolved within them. When exposed to a vacuum the pressure difference between the inside and outside of your body causes these gasses to expand, hence your skin balloons up.

See here for a bit more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spacesu...ut_a_spacesuit

Register to reply