Surviving in Space: The Truth About Human Adaptation and Evolution

• Thread starter curiousTrys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human body
In summary, it is unlikely for humans to evolve and adapt to survive in space as most evolution is not a specific response to the environment but rather the result of pre-existing mutations. Additionally, it is unlikely for humans to survive in space without air as it is a deadly environment and the lack of oxygen would lead to suffocation. While life has proven adaptable, the process of evolving beyond the need for earth is not yet possible and would require a significant amount of time. Despite the possibility of slowly adapting to the pressure changes, cosmic radiation remains a major factor in human survival in space.
curiousTrys
I want to know the answers to the following:

1. What REALLY happens to the naked human body in the void of space (the areas far between galaxies, where nothing really exists)?
2. Can humans evolve and adapt to survive in space?
3. (Adding on to the previous) can we slowly depressurize (akin to scuba diving) to survive in space?
4. How could we survive in space without air? (This is asking how we can learn to adapt beyond the need for our atmosphere, with the goal of surviving in space)All of these questions are very linked and I expect that the answers to them are likely unknown. It's a scary, profound though that may just be worth the time. Please give a real response and explain why or why not.

Last edited:
  • Skeptical
Likes BillTre and Motore
Biology news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
1. It boils.
2. No.
3. We can't.
4. We can't.
It boils due to a sudden change in pressure, as in that of a scuba diver resurfacing too fast from deep waters.
It is for that reason that I believe we can find a way around this. Question 4 I expected a "we can't" from.
However, if you don't wish to contribute reason and provide an explanation for your responses that satisfies me, I'm inclined not to believe you. Thank you for your response.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre
curiousTrys said:
It boils due to a sudden change in pressure, as in that of a scuba diver resurfacing too fast from deep waters.
I edited and provided a link with a better description. Suffocation is part of the answer too.
It is for that reason that I believe we can find a way around this.
That is, frankly, silly. Divers are returning to the normal human environment. It's the abruptness of the return that is dangerous. Space is a deadly environment regardless of how you get there. And plenty have died from lack of oxygen short of space.
Question 4 I expected a "we can't" from.
However, if you don't wish to contribute reason and provide an explanation for your responses that satisfies me, I'm inclined not to believe you. Thank you for your response.
K. The answer is, frankly, obvious, and there's nothing to prove. I'm not sure what kind of response would satisfy you, but you can't prove a negative and I suspect you might have an idea you're not saying that I therefore can't respond to.

Last edited:
Likes BillTre
russ_watters said:
I edited and provided a link with a better description. Suffocation is part of the answer too.

That is, frankly, silly. Divers are returning to the normal human environment. It's the abruptness of the return that is dangerous. Space is a deadly environment regardless of how you get there. And plenty have died from lack of oxygen short of space.

K. The question and answe is, frankly, obvious, and there's nothing to prove. I'm not sure what kind of response would satisfy you, but you can't prove a negative and I suspect you might have an idea you're not saying that I therefore can't respond to.
You might think it silly, but it's absolutely correct. It boils because of the low pressure creating expanding gas. In a hypothetical that we in fact can survive this pressure change by entering the vacuum slowly enough, that would only leave the issue of lack of air. If we managed to adapt beyond the need for air, I suppose the only other factor to my knowledge would be cosmic radiation. Life has proven adaptable. It is a slow process, at which we are still immature. It would obviously take up a lot of time, but you haven't convinced me that the process of evolving beyond the need for earth simply is not possible. Suffice it to say that your Wikipedia article is not a reliable source. I didn't even bother to read it because "Wikipedia" was all I needed to know. Please reply with a credible source if you're going to provide information you want to pass off as a fact.

• Skeptical
Likes BillTre and Motore
curiousTrys said:
Suffice it to say that your Wikipedia article is not a reliable source. I didn't even bother to read it because "Wikipedia" was all I needed to know. Please reply with a credible source if you're going to provide information you want to pass off as a fact.
IMO, Wikipedia is very often a good starting place.

According to LiveScience, there is only one animal, Henneguya salminicola, that does not breathe. One theory is that it evolved from cancer. It is unlikely that humans would evolve that way. I am not an expert on evolution, but it is my belief that most evolution is not a specific response to the environment but rather the result of having a large variety of pre-existing mutations so that some will survive anything. I do not see those pre-existing mutations that would help humans survive without oxygen in deep space.

Likes BillTre and russ_watters
To me it seems you don't understand how evolution, biology, pressure, temperature and a couple of other things work. Can you provide any evidence that a living beign bigger than 1 mm ever survived in outer space?

Likes BillTre and russ_watters
curiousTrys said:
You might think it silly, but it's absolutely correct. It boils because of the low pressure creating expanding gas. In a hypothetical that we in fact can survive this pressure change by entering the vacuum slowly enough, that would only leave the issue of lack of air.
Of course you can depressurize slowly/partially enough to ensure that it is clearly suffocation that kills you. That's a thing that happens, unfortunately, in airplanes sometimes. That wasn't the silly part, the silly part is survival in space with no oxygen regardless of what kills you first.

curiousTrys said:
If we managed to adapt beyond the need for air, I suppose the only other factor to my knowledge would be cosmic radiation. Life has proven adaptable. It is a slow process, at which we are still immature. It would obviously take up a lot of time, but you haven't convinced me that the process of evolving beyond the need for earth simply is not possible. Suffice it to say that your Wikipedia article is not a reliable source. I didn't even bother to read it because "Wikipedia" was all I needed to know. Please reply with a credible source if you're going to provide information you want to pass off as a fact.
1. Wikipedia is an acceptable source here for straightforward information like this.
2. The level of speculation you are doing is unfit for discussion on PF and this thread is therefore locked.
3. 1+2=irony

Likes Astronuc, BillTre and FactChecker

1. How do humans adapt to survive in space?

Humans adapt to survive in space through a process called acclimatization, which involves the body adjusting to the extreme conditions of space. This can include changes in bone density, muscle mass, and cardiovascular function. Additionally, astronauts undergo rigorous training and use specialized equipment to help them survive in space.

2. Can humans evolve to live in space?

While it is possible for humans to adapt to living in space for short periods of time, it is unlikely that humans will evolve to live permanently in space. Evolution takes place over long periods of time and requires specific environmental pressures, which are not present in the controlled environment of a spacecraft.

3. What are the biggest challenges humans face in space?

The biggest challenges humans face in space include exposure to radiation, microgravity, and isolation. These conditions can have negative effects on the human body, including bone and muscle loss, weakened immune system, and psychological issues. Scientists are continuously researching and developing ways to mitigate these challenges.

4. How does space travel affect the human body?

Space travel can have significant effects on the human body, including changes in bone density, muscle mass, and cardiovascular function. It can also lead to vision problems, weakened immune system, and psychological issues. However, with proper training and equipment, these effects can be minimized.

5. Can humans reproduce in space?

There have been no documented cases of humans reproducing in space. However, it is theoretically possible for humans to reproduce in space with the help of assisted reproductive technology. This would involve creating a controlled environment to mimic the conditions of Earth and ensuring the safety and health of the mother and child.