Prove If x^2 is irrational then x is irrational

by basil32
Tags: irrational, prove
Share this thread:
basil32
Jan6-12, 02:29 AM
P: 11
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Prove If x^2 is irrational then x is irrational. I can find for example π^2 which is irrational and then π is irrational but I don't know how to approach the proof. Any hint?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
Curious3141
Jan6-12, 04:44 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,943
Quote Quote by basil32 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Prove If x^2 is irrational then x is irrational. I can find for example π^2 which is irrational and then π is irrational but I don't know how to approach the proof. Any hint?
Try a proof by contradiction. Let's say you have such a rational [itex]x[/itex] where [itex]x^2[/itex] is irrational. Then let [itex]x = \frac{p}{q}[/itex] where p and q are coprime integers (meaning it's a reduced fraction). Now see what form [itex]x^2[/itex] takes. Can you arrive at a contradiction considering that this was supposed to be irrational by the first assumption?
basil32
Jan6-12, 06:49 AM
Quote Quote by Curious3141 View Post
Try a proof by contradiction. Let's say you have such a rational [itex]x[/itex] where [itex]x^2[/itex] is irrational. Then let [itex]x = \frac{p}{q}[/itex] where p and q are coprime integers (meaning it's a reduced fraction). Now see what form [itex]x^2[/itex] takes. Can you arrive at a contradiction considering that this was supposed to be irrational by the first assumption?
ok. [itex]x^{2} [/itex] = [itex]\frac{p^{2}}{q^{2}} [/itex]. Now [itex] q^{2}x^{2} = p^{2} \Rightarrow x^{2} \mid p^{2} \Rightarrow x \mid p [/itex] but I can't arrive at [itex]x \mid q[/itex] for the contradiction (when I replace p =xk in the [itex]q^{2}x^{2} = (xk)^{2} [/itex] the x^{2} on both side cancel)

Curious3141
Jan6-12, 06:59 AM
HW Helper
Prove If x^2 is irrational then x is irrational

Wouldn't it suffice to observe that [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is a reduced rational number since p and q are coprime? Which would imply that [itex]x^2[/itex] is rational as well, which contradicts the original assumption of the irrationality of [itex]x^2[/itex].

In other words, the negation of the proposition [itex]x^2 \notin \mathbb{Q} \Rightarrow x \notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex] leads to a contradiction. Hence the proposition is true.
basil32
Jan6-12, 07:09 AM
Quote Quote by Curious3141 View Post
Wouldn't it suffice to observe that [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is a reduced rational number since p and q are coprime? Which would imply that [itex]x^2[/itex] is rational as well, which contradicts the original assumption of the irrationality of [itex]x^2[/itex].

In other words, the negation of the proposition [itex]x^2 \notin \mathbb{Q} \Rightarrow x \notin \mathbb{Q}[/itex] leads to a contradiction. Hence the proposition is true.
yeah, the observation make sense but I need a lemma which proves that [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is reduced form whenever [itex]\frac{p}{q}[/itex] is reduced. How do you do that?
Curious3141
Jan6-12, 08:25 AM
HW Helper
yeah, the observation make sense but I need a lemma which proves that [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is reduced form whenever [itex]\frac{p}{q}[/itex] is reduced. How do you do that?
I would've thought that bit's obvious, and would've stated it without proof. If you want to see it more clearly, perhaps express it as [itex]\frac{(p)(p)}{(q)(q)}[/itex]. Neither of the numerator's two factors has any factors in common with either of the denominator's factors (since p and q are coprime by definition), so the fraction is irreducible (nothing to cancel out).

The only thing I can think of more fundamental than that would be to fully prime-factorise [itex]p^2[/itex] and [itex]q^2[/itex], but this just leads to a more messy yet no more convincing argument.
Dick
Jan6-12, 08:39 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,243
Why do you need to show [itex]\frac{p^2}{q^2}[/itex] is in reduced form? It's rational even if it's not in reduced form, isn't it?
Ray Vickson
Jan6-12, 10:39 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 4,959
Why bother? We know [itex] p^2 \mbox{ and } q^2 [/itex] are integers, so [itex] p^2/q^2[/itex] is a ratio of integers, hence a rational number. Who cares if they are coprime?

RGV
basil32
Jan6-12, 10:44 AM
Thanks everybody!

Register to reply