Is a+b necessarily irrational?

• Thread starter r0bHadz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Irrational
In summary, the question asks if the sum of a rational number and an irrational number will always result in an irrational number. The book's answer is yes, because if the sum was rational, then the irrational number would have to be rational as well. However, the student presents a different perspective, stating that the sum of an irrational and a terminating or repeating decimal will result in a non-terminating decimal. The student also brings up the possibility of both a and b being irrational, in which case the sum could still be rational if b is equal to a rational number minus a. The student also notes a possible typo in the book's solution, where the same letter is used for both the irrational and rational numbers.
r0bHadz

Homework Statement

If a is rational and b is irrational, is a+b necessarily irrational?

What if a and b are both irrational?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The books answer:

1)Yes, for if a+b were rational, then b = (a+b) - a would be rational.
This makes sense for me, but I looked at it a little differently:

If we have a number that never terminates after the decimal, and a number that does, or it keeps on repeating, then if we add those two the result will be a number that does not terminate.

2) If a and b are irrational, then a+b could be rational, for b could be r-a for some rational number a

This one confuses me. How can you say a is irrational, then go on to say that a is rational?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nvm I understand now, though his notation is pretty weird. Not sure why you would choose to use the same letter but whateva

r0bHadz said:
2) If a and b are irrational, then a+b could be rational, for b could be r-a for some rational number a

r0bHadz said:
Nvm I understand now, though his notation is pretty weird. Not sure why you would choose to use the same letter
I'm certain it's a typo. The first sentence above should say "for b could be r - a for some rational number r."

1. Is it possible for a sum of two rational numbers to be irrational?

Yes, it is possible for a sum of two rational numbers to be irrational. This occurs when the sum of the two rational numbers results in a non-terminating and non-repeating decimal, also known as an irrational number.

2. Can you provide an example of when a+b is irrational?

One example is when a=1/3 and b=2/3. The sum of 1/3 and 2/3 is 1, which is an irrational number.

3. Is it possible for a+b to be both rational and irrational?

No, a sum of two numbers cannot be both rational and irrational. A number is either rational or irrational, it cannot be both at the same time.

4. How can you prove that a+b is irrational?

To prove that a+b is irrational, we can use a proof by contradiction. We assume that a+b is rational and then show that this leads to a contradiction. This proves that our initial assumption is false and therefore, a+b must be irrational.

5. What is the significance of determining if a+b is irrational?

Determining if a+b is irrational has practical applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It helps us understand the properties of numbers and the relationships between rational and irrational numbers. It also allows us to solve complex problems and make accurate calculations in these fields.