Evaluating several powers of ##x## from a given equation

That's all.The convention is definitely the former. ##e^{kx^2}## being the example to bear in mind.The OP has misinterpreted both expressions, I think. That's all.In summary, The problem is to evaluate the expression ##\boldsymbol{\left(x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle 6}}}\right)^{\displaystyle\sqrt 3}}## given that ##\boldsymbol{x^{\displaystyle 2x^{\displaystyle 6}}=3}##. There is ambiguity in the problem statement as to whether the exponent of x in the first expression is ##2(x^6)## or ##(2x)^6
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
If ##\quad\boldsymbol{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle 2x^{\displaystyle 6}}=3}##, evaluate ##\quad\boldsymbol{\left(x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle 6}}}\right)^{\displaystyle\sqrt 3} = ?}##
Relevant Equations
1. ##a^m \cdot a^n = a^{m\cdot n}##
2. ##\left(a^m\right)^n = a^{mn}##.
3. If ##a^x=b\Rightarrow x\log a=\log b\quad \text{to any base}##

(I can't think of anything else given the little I was able to do in my way of an ##\text{attempt}##.)
Problem statement : If ##\boldsymbol{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle 2x^{\displaystyle 6}}=3}##, evaluate ##\boldsymbol{\left(x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle 6}}}\right)^{\displaystyle\sqrt 3} = ?}##.

Attempt : I copy and paste my attempt using Autodesk Sketchbook##^{\circledR}##. I hope I am not violating anything.

1666871784349.png

Doubt : If only I could evaluate ##x##, or so it would seem. Note I have an irrational power ##^{\sqrt 3}## to negotiate with as well.

A help or a hint would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to be carfeul. $$x^{x^{x^6}} = x^{(x^{x^6})} = x^{(x^{(x^6)})}$$

Likes topsquark and pbuk
brotherbobby said:
Homework Statement:: If ##\quad\boldsymbol{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle 2x^{\displaystyle 6}}=3}##, evaluate ##\quad\boldsymbol{\left(x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle x^{\displaystyle 6}}}\right)^{\displaystyle\sqrt 3} = ?}##
I observe
[tex]x=3^{\frac{1}{6}}[/tex]
satisfies "If ...,".

Say
[tex]x^6=y[/tex]
[tex]y^{2y/6}=3[/tex]
[tex]y\ln y=3\ln 3[/tex]
[tex]y=3[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes topsquark and SammyS
anuttarasammyak said:
I observe
satisfies "If ...,".
If ##x^{(2(x^6))} = 3## but not if ##x^{((2x)^6)} = 3##. The problem statement is ambiguous.

DrClaude said:
If ##x^{(2(x^6))} = 3## but not if ##x^{((2x)^6)} = 3##. The problem statement is ambiguous.
It's not much different from ##e^{-\frac 1 2 x^2}##, which is unambiguous.

PeroK said:
It's not much different from ##e^{-\frac 1 2 x^2}##, which is unambiguous.
The thing is I read the problem as ##x^{(2(x^6))} = 3## (as in your example) but the OP as ##x^{((2x)^6)} = 3##. So which is it?

DrClaude said:
The thing is I read the problem as ##x^{(2(x^6))} = 3## (as in your example) but the OP as ##x^{((2x)^6)} = 3##. So which is it?
The convention is definitely the former. ##e^{kx^2}## being the example to bear in mind.

The OP has misinterpreted both expressions, I think.

Likes DrClaude

1. How do I evaluate powers of x from a given equation?

To evaluate powers of x from a given equation, you can use the power rule of exponents. This rule states that when raising a power to another power, you can multiply the exponents. For example, if you have an equation x^3, and you want to evaluate x^6, you can simply multiply the exponents to get x^9.

2. Can I use a calculator to evaluate powers of x?

Yes, you can use a calculator to evaluate powers of x from a given equation. Most scientific calculators have a button for raising a number to a power, making it easy to calculate any power of x.

3. How do I evaluate negative powers of x?

To evaluate negative powers of x, you can use the negative exponent rule. This rule states that when you have a negative exponent, you can rewrite it as the reciprocal of the positive exponent. For example, x^-2 can be rewritten as 1/x^2.

4. Can I evaluate fractional powers of x?

Yes, you can evaluate fractional powers of x from a given equation. To do this, you can use the fractional exponent rule, which states that when you have a fractional exponent, you can rewrite it as a radical. For example, x^(1/2) can be rewritten as the square root of x.

5. How do I evaluate powers of x with variables in the exponent?

To evaluate powers of x with variables in the exponent, you can use the laws of exponents. These laws state that when you have a power raised to another power, you can multiply the exponents. For example, (x^2)^3 can be rewritten as x^6.