Solving SIN, COS, TAN with a TI-30XA Calculator

In summary: Just calculate 16/34 with you calculator and then hit the SIN button.Just calculate 16/34 with you calculator and then hit the SIN button.
ArcherofScience
Hello,

I'm having some problems. So for geometry class today, the teacher taught us this COS, SIN, TAN stuff. I got the concept how to get the fractions from the triangle and everything. Problem is how to plug it in the calculator. I have a basic TI-30XA, and I'm trying to plug in fractions for the SIN, COS, and TAN, but I have no clue how to plug it in easily. For example the fraction : 16 over 34. How do I get the SIN of it?

Its really urgent someone replies back. I have been trying all night, and I have a chemistry test tomorrow, so I can't spend all my time working on geometry just to plug in something in the calculator.

Thanks,

ArcherofScience

Physics news on Phys.org
Just calculate 16/34 with you calculator and then hit the SIN button.

micromass said:
Just calculate 16/34 with you calculator and then hit the SIN button.
I tried it, it worked! Thankyou thankyou thankyou soooo much. Your like the coolest person yet! I feel like a complete idiot not even realizing that it was this simple. Thankyou you saved my life tonight with Homework. Woohoo! :D.

thanks Micromass.

Do be careful. Your calculator probably calculates the sine of an angle in degrees. You can check by putting in sin(90). If it outputs 1, then your calculator is set to degrees. This is ok if your geometry homework deals with degrees. But sometimes you need another thing called "radians". If you want to calculate the sine of something in radians then you should adjust your calculator.

If you don't know what a radian is, then just ignore this post.

micromass said:
Do be careful. Your calculator probably calculates the sine of an angle in degrees. You can check by putting in sin(90). If it outputs 1, then your calculator is set to degrees. This is ok if your geometry homework deals with degrees. But sometimes you need another thing called "radians". If you want to calculate the sine of something in radians then you should adjust your calculator.

If you don't know what a radian is, then just ignore this post.

I looked at my calculator and it says degree on top, so I guess I'm fine. :), thanks again btw.

ArcherofScience said:
Hello,

I'm having some problems. So for geometry class today, the teacher taught us this COS, SIN, TAN stuff. I got the concept how to get the fractions from the triangle and everything. Problem is how to plug it in the calculator. I have a basic TI-30XA, and I'm trying to plug in fractions for the SIN, COS, and TAN, but I have no clue how to plug it in easily. For example the fraction : 16 over 34. How do I get the SIN of it?
Are you sure you want to? In working with triangles, you take the sine of an angle and I don't see how that would be got as a fraction. If you have a right triangle with one leg of length 16 and hypotenuse of length 34, then the fraction 16/34 is the sine of the angle opposite that leg. If you were to use the "inverse function" button and "sine", that will give you the inverse sine- giving the angle that has sine equal to 16/34, NOT the sine of 16/34.

Its really urgent someone replies back. I have been trying all night, and I have a chemistry test tomorrow, so I can't spend all my time working on geometry just to plug in something in the calculator.

Thanks,

ArcherofScience

1. How do I enter the trigonometric function on the TI-30XA calculator?

To enter the trigonometric function, you will need to press the "2nd" button on the calculator and then the "sin", "cos", or "tan" button depending on which function you want to use.

2. How do I solve for the sine, cosine, or tangent of an angle using the TI-30XA calculator?

Once you have entered the trigonometric function, you will need to input the angle in either degrees or radians. To switch between degrees and radians, press the "2nd" button followed by the "DRG" button. Then, enter the value of the angle and press the "Enter" button to get the result.

3. Can I solve for inverse trigonometric functions on the TI-30XA calculator?

Yes, you can solve for inverse trigonometric functions such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent on the TI-30XA calculator. To do so, press the "2nd" button and then the "sin^-1", "cos^-1", or "tan^-1" button depending on the inverse function you want to use. Enter the value and press the "Enter" button to get the result.

4. How do I use the TI-30XA calculator to solve for trigonometric identities?

To solve for trigonometric identities, you will need to use the "2nd" button and the "Enter" button to access the "Ans" function. This allows you to use the previous result in a new calculation. You can also use the "sto" button to store a value and use it in a future calculation.

5. Can I use the TI-30XA calculator to solve for trigonometric equations?

Yes, you can use the TI-30XA calculator to solve for trigonometric equations. You will need to use the "2nd" button and the "Enter" button to access the "Ans" function and use the previous result in a new calculation. You can also use the "sto" button to store a value and use it in a future calculation. Additionally, you can use the "solve" function by pressing the "2nd" button and then the "solve" button to solve for a variable in an equation.