SIN, COS, TAN help?

by ArcherofScience
Tags: None
ArcherofScience
Feb1-12, 08:35 PM
P: 35
Hello,

I'm having some problems. So for geometry class today, the teacher taught us this COS, SIN, TAN stuff. I got the concept how to get the fractions from the triangle and everything. Problem is how to plug it in the calculator. I have a basic TI-30XA, and I'm trying to plug in fractions for the SIN, COS, and TAN, but I have no clue how to plug it in easily. For example the fraction : 16 over 34. How do I get the SIN of it?

Its really urgent someone replies back. I have been trying all night, and I have a chemistry test tomorrow, so I can't spend all my time working on geometry just to plug in something in the calculator.

Thanks,

ArcherofScience
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
micromass
Feb1-12, 08:39 PM
Mentor
P: 16,549
Just calculate 16/34 with you calculator and then hit the SIN button.
ArcherofScience
Feb1-12, 08:41 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Just calculate 16/34 with you calculator and then hit the SIN button.

I tried it, it worked!! Thankyou thankyou thankyou soooo much. Your like the coolest person yet! I feel like a complete idiot not even realizing that it was this simple. Thankyou you saved my life tonight with Homework. Woohoo! :D.

thanks Micromass.

micromass
Feb1-12, 08:46 PM
Mentor
P: 16,549

SIN, COS, TAN help?

Do be careful. Your calculator probably calculates the sine of an angle in degrees. You can check by putting in sin(90). If it outputs 1, then your calculator is set to degrees. This is ok if your geometry homework deals with degrees. But sometimes you need another thing called "radians". If you want to calculate the sine of something in radians then you should adjust your calculator.

If you don't know what a radian is, then just ignore this post.
ArcherofScience
Feb1-12, 08:51 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Do be careful. Your calculator probably calculates the sine of an angle in degrees. You can check by putting in sin(90). If it outputs 1, then your calculator is set to degrees. This is ok if your geometry homework deals with degrees. But sometimes you need another thing called "radians". If you want to calculate the sine of something in radians then you should adjust your calculator.

If you don't know what a radian is, then just ignore this post.

I looked at my calculator and it says degree on top, so I guess i'm fine. :), thanks again btw.
HallsofIvy
Feb2-12, 08:18 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
Quote Quote by ArcherofScience View Post
Hello,

I'm having some problems. So for geometry class today, the teacher taught us this COS, SIN, TAN stuff. I got the concept how to get the fractions from the triangle and everything. Problem is how to plug it in the calculator. I have a basic TI-30XA, and I'm trying to plug in fractions for the SIN, COS, and TAN, but I have no clue how to plug it in easily. For example the fraction : 16 over 34. How do I get the SIN of it?
Are you sure you want to? In working with triangles, you take the sine of an angle and I don't see how that would be got as a fraction. If you have a right triangle with one leg of length 16 and hypotenuse of length 34, then the fraction 16/34 is the sine of the angle opposite that leg. If you were to use the "inverse function" button and "sine", that will give you the inverse sine- giving the angle that has sine equal to 16/34, NOT the sine of 16/34.

Its really urgent someone replies back. I have been trying all night, and I have a chemistry test tomorrow, so I can't spend all my time working on geometry just to plug in something in the calculator.

Thanks,

ArcherofScience

Register to reply