Sum or difference formula (sin, cos, and tan)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the exact values of sine, cosine, and tangent for a given angle using a sum or difference formula. To do so, one needs to add $2\pi$ to the given angle and then use the angle-sum formulas. Alternatively, one can use simpler angles such as $\frac{3\pi}{4} + \frac{\pi}{6}$ or $\frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{2\pi}{3}$ to avoid multiple uses of the compound angle formulae.
Taryn1
So I'm supposed to find the exact values of the sine, cosine, and tangent of an angle by using a sum or difference formula ( i.e. sin(x+y)=sin(x)cos(y)+cos(x)sin(y) ), but this is the angle I was given: ${-13\pi}/{12}$. How do I use a sum or difference formula to get the sin, cos, and tan of that?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would first add $2\pi$ to get:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{13}{12}\pi+2\pi=\frac{11}{12}\pi\)

And then write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{11}{12}\pi=\frac{1}{2}\pi+\frac{1}{4}\pi+\frac{1}{6}\pi\)

Now you can use the angle-sum formulas. :)

MarkFL said:
I would first add $2\pi$ to get:

\(\displaystyle -\frac{13}{12}\pi+2\pi=\frac{11}{12}\pi\)

And then write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{11}{12}\pi=\frac{1}{2}\pi+\frac{1}{4}\pi+\frac{1}{6}\pi\)

Now you can use the angle-sum formulas. :)

Or even just $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{3\pi}{4} + \frac{\pi}{6} \end{align*}$ or $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{\pi}{4} + \frac{2\pi}{3} \end{align*}$ to avoid multiple uses of the compound angle formulae...

Thanks for your help! That makes more sense now.

What is the Sum or Difference Formula?

The Sum or Difference Formula refers to a set of trigonometric identities that express the sine, cosine, and tangent of the sum or difference of two angles in terms of the sine, cosine, and tangent of the individual angles. These identities are used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations involving sums or differences of angles.

What are the Sum and Difference Formulas for sine?

The Sum Formula for sine is sin(A + B) = sinAcosB + cosAsinB, while the Difference Formula for sine is sin(A - B) = sinAcosB - cosAsinB. These formulas can be derived using the trigonometric identities for the sine of the sum and difference of two angles.

What are the Sum and Difference Formulas for cosine?

The Sum Formula for cosine is cos(A + B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB, while the Difference Formula for cosine is cos(A - B) = cosAcosB + sinAsinB. These formulas can be derived using the trigonometric identities for the cosine of the sum and difference of two angles.

What are the Sum and Difference Formulas for tangent?

The Sum Formula for tangent is tan(A + B) = (tanA + tanB) / (1 - tanAtanB), while the Difference Formula for tangent is tan(A - B) = (tanA - tanB) / (1 + tanAtanB). These formulas can be derived using the trigonometric identities for the tangent of the sum and difference of two angles.

How are the Sum and Difference Formulas used in real-world applications?

The Sum and Difference Formulas are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, astronomy, and navigation. They are used to calculate the position and motion of objects, as well as to analyze and predict the behavior of waves and oscillations. In addition, these formulas are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movements and effects.