Synergistic relations between computer science and technology.

In summary, TylerH is looking for topics to write about for their research paper on the relationship between computer science and technology. They are currently exploring examples such as hardware/processor enabled security, parallelism, and input devices. They are also considering the impact of video games and movies on the field of computer science and the development of new technologies. Additionally, they mention the potential synergistic relationship between computer science and the study of natural language, using IBM's Watson as an example. Ultimately, TylerH is seeking any case where it can be argued that computer science has influenced technology, and vice versa.
TylerH
I need some topics to write about for my research paper. I'm writing about how computer science and technology both force the other to expand. The 3 examples I'm writing about now are hardware/processor enabled security (ie I'm comparing 16bit x86 which had no security to 32bit which did), parallelism (and how its use in large scale companies led to Cuda and OpenCL for home users), and the general concept of input (keyboards, mice, etc.).

If those are making you cringe, because they're not really that closely related to computer science, then I know the feeling. I had to write the paper to relate my major, CS, to a field selected by the class as a whole, technology. Personally, I consider the two to be inextricable, since technology is generally synonymous with computers. And for that reason, I'd be happy to have any kind of suggestion as to a relation between CS and technology that seems to be synergistic. Literally any case where it can be (even loosely) argued that one influenced the other would be awesome.

Thanks for your time,
Tyler

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hey TylerH.

This is an interesting topic and thankyou for bringing it up.

One of the best ways to answer this question IMO, is to look at the changes in society and its focus.

One such focus is the introduction of video games and its subsequent commercialization.

Because of the effect that video games has had on society and culture across the board (from Japan/China/Korea all the way to the US/Europe/UK/Australia and even to places like Pakistan/Middle East), you'll find that there is a huge incentive to study this in a theoretical way in the hope that advances will directly be translatable to something with a more economic focus (like better graphics 'wow' factor amongst other things).

So in this scenario video games have allowed universities to teach whole subjects on the subjects of video game design and computer graphics.

Also the advent of modern movies with things like Pixar are doing basically the same thing that was referenced above with video games.

Because there is a lot of money to be made in these areas (especially video games), people are pouring more money into research and finding ways of taking that and applying it to something practical. This is forcing an interesting dynamic of computer science expanding to fill this void and subsequently help create new technologies which starts the whole cycle going all over again.

There are other areas like new ways of doing commerce (like over the internet with credit cards). The amount of research in this is phenomenal and because of the amount of money that can be generated from this activity, it's not surprising that the area of cryptography in all its forms (mathematical, programming, key management and protocols, analysis and so on) is rather extensive and is forcing both the theoretical as well as the practical sides to keep persisting in a constant tug of war which expands both areas.

Thank you!

I went with the e-commerce one, in addition to the ones I listed, and it gave me the 10 pages I needed. I would have included the film and video game examples, but my existing 3 that I had already wrote about weren't diverse enough to make them fit well with the otherwise computer-centric view, but they're great examples. Not that diversity wouldn't be great. (We don't want to make it seem like computers are the only form of technology advanced by CS.) But my OCD requires that either they all be similar or they be uniformly diverse. :P

I'd like to cite your post for the idea. I'm going to talk to my teacher about it tomorrow (whether it is acceptable to cite a forum). Then you'd be able to say you've been cited by at least one student in a (college) sophomore English class. :)

You've got no qualms from me about using the content in any way you want, so do as you please.

TylerH, as for "a relation between CS and technology that seems to be synergistic. Literally any case where it can be (even loosely) argued that one influenced the other would be awesome", may I suggest the subject of CS development in understanding natural language? Last year IBM's "Watson" competed on "Jeopardy!" and won over two human champions. Now, IBM did not research and develop that system just to play the TV game. IBM's famed Watson supercomputer will soon be available as a commercialized analytics tool for data-heavy industries like healthcare, telecom and financial services. That sounds like synergy to me!

Bobbywhy said:
TylerH, as for "a relation between CS and technology that seems to be synergistic. Literally any case where it can be (even loosely) argued that one influenced the other would be awesome", may I suggest the subject of CS development in understanding natural language? Last year IBM's "Watson" competed on "Jeopardy!" and won over two human champions. Now, IBM did not research and develop that system just to play the TV game. IBM's famed Watson supercomputer will soon be available as a commercialized analytics tool for data-heavy industries like healthcare, telecom and financial services. That sounds like synergy to me!
I ended up including a few advanced input techniques, including natural language processing, speech recognition, and gestural recognition (and the math/CS behind them). I'll try to work Watson into the NLP part, but couldn't really get it to fit in my first revision.

1. What is the main difference between computer science and technology?

Computer science is a field of study that focuses on the theory and algorithms behind computing systems, while technology refers to the practical application of those theories and algorithms in the form of hardware and software.

2. How do computer science and technology complement each other?

Computer science provides the foundational knowledge and principles that drive technological advancements. Technology, on the other hand, provides a platform for computer science theories to be implemented and tested in real-world scenarios.

3. What are some examples of synergistic relations between computer science and technology?

Some examples include the development of artificial intelligence and machine learning, advancements in computer hardware and software, and the creation of new technologies such as virtual reality and the Internet of Things.

4. How are computer science and technology driving innovation in various industries?

The integration of computer science and technology has led to significant advancements in industries such as healthcare, finance, transportation, and entertainment. These fields have been transformed by the use of cutting-edge technologies, driven by computer science research.

5. What are the future possibilities for the collaboration between computer science and technology?

The potential for collaboration between computer science and technology is endless. With the rapid pace of technological advancements, computer science will continue to play a crucial role in driving innovation and shaping the future of various industries. This collaboration will also lead to the development of new fields and technologies that we cannot even imagine today.