Is this Computer Science or Computer Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses a program that is a combination of both Computer Science and Computer Engineering and has a focus on Information Systems and Business Management, Production and Automation, or Distributed Systems. The program covers a wide range of topics including mathematics, physics, algorithms, data structures, programming, computer networks, and more. It is a good option for someone who wants to pursue a career in technology and business.
Rintintin
Hi all, I would really appreciate someone taking a guess what this program equates to in English (whether it is Computer Science, Computer Engineering, IT or something else).

I'm currently living in a non-English speaking country but will possibly be moving to Europe after graduating (my mom is European) so I'm trying to figure out what this degree would translate to in a Western country.

I've translated the curriculum to English as best I could (there may be mistakes because I'm not familiar with technical language). I just want to know what this program resembles in your opinion. Is it "computer science" or something else?

Thank you in advance! The program's name is basically "Engineer in Informatics" (which I know doesn't exist as a degree or job title in English)

SEMESTER 1

Mathematical analysis
Chemistry
Informatics (also translated as computer science/computing)
Intro to Information Engineering

SEMESTER 2

Analytic Geometry and Algebra
Physics
Algorithms and data structure
English I
Practice/lab I

SEMESTER 3

Mathematical Analysis II
Physics II
Algorithms and Programming I
Systems of Representation

SEMESTER 4

Statistics and Probability
Analysis of electronic circuitry
Algorithms and Programming II
Systems and Electronic technology
Practice/lab II

SEMESTER 5

Mathematical Methods of Engineering
Circuits and Electronic Measurements
Architecture of Data Writing Systems
Data Management
Object Oriented Programming

SEMESTER 6

Computer Networks
Architecture of Data Writing Systems II
Automatic Control Systems
Operational Systems
English II
Practice/Lab III

SEMESTERS 7 to 10

Operational Research
Software Engineering
Economics and Business Management
Information Systems Security
Simulation and Modeling
Environment Management
Professional Practice and the Law
Practice/Lab IV

Orientation-based Courses
Practice/Lab V

Practicum/Supervised Practice
Thesis of EngineeringORIENTATIONS (CHOOSE ONE)

INFORMATION SYSTEMS AND BUSINESS MANAGEMENT:
Businesses and Systems
Software Quality
Systems design
Database Management
Human Resources
Logistics
Business Administration

PRODUCTION AND AUTOMATION:
Signal Writing and Theory
Network Management and Technology
Methodologies in Identification and Control
Automation Software Architecture
Artificial Intelligence
Automation and Planning of Production Systems

DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS
Signal Writing and Theory
Network Management and Technology
Distributed Programming
Router Architecture and Protocols
Distributed Programming II
Design and transmission of Multimedia data

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like a combination of both Computer Science and Computer Engineering.

Traditionally Computer Science is software oriented. Apart from introductory logic, number bases, circuits & gates, it mainly deals with algorithms, data structures, language (low level, high level), compiler design, simulations, game theory, etc.

Computer Engineering is hardware oriented. Design, layout, topology, thermal considerations, power management, chip design.

Your course outline covers all the above and more.

Likes donpacino and Rintintin
Thanks so much! That's very good news. So this would be like having a double major? I was afraid this might be a fluffy program or something that was more geared toward going into business (I would rather be a scientist or engineer than do that). I'm not very tech savvy at the moment but hopefully will be able to keep up with this program as universities where I am are few and far between and this seems like one of my best options.

1. What is the difference between Computer Science and Computer Engineering?

Computer Science is a field that focuses on the theoretical foundations of computing and programming, while Computer Engineering combines principles of both computer science and electrical engineering to design and develop computer hardware and software systems.

2. Can I switch from Computer Science to Computer Engineering or vice versa?

It is possible to switch from one field to the other, but it may require additional coursework and may extend the length of your degree program. It is important to research and understand the curriculum and requirements of each field before making a switch.

3. Do Computer Science and Computer Engineering have similar job opportunities?

Both fields offer a wide range of job opportunities in industries such as software development, information technology, and research. However, the specific roles and responsibilities may differ based on the focus of each field.

4. Is coding a necessary skill for both Computer Science and Computer Engineering?

While coding is an important skill for both fields, it is more heavily emphasized in Computer Science. Computer Engineering may also require coding skills, but the focus is more on designing and developing hardware systems.

5. Can I pursue a graduate degree in one field if my undergraduate degree is in the other?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in either field regardless of your undergraduate degree. However, you may need to take prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary background and knowledge for the program.