Projectile Motion problem with Plane dropping package

In summary: Delta Y = 1/2(a)t^2 After substituting in the appropriate values, we get V=Vi + at X = Vt So the package falls for 10.5 seconds and has an initial velocity of 45.2 sin 40 degrees.
Knights18

Homework Statement

An airplane with a speed of 45.2 m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 40° with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 540 m, the pilot releases a package.
(a) Calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth.

(b) Relative to the ground determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact. (clockwise from the positive x axis)

We know the initial velocity for the X and Y components, the height at which the plane drops the package and the angle at which the plane is ascending in respect to the horizontal.

Homework Equations

Delta Y = 1/2(a)t^2
V= Vi + at
X = Vt

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the total time it would take for the package to hit the ground from the time that it was released to be Sqrt(Y/g) = Sqrt(540/9.8) = 10.5 seconds. But, the package has an initial velocity in the Y direction so I thought to use the Y velocity component (45.2sin40) divided by the acceleration to find the additional time that the entire flight would take because right after the plane releases the package, the package travels a certain distance upwards due to the velocity, and then proceeds to travel in the downward direction. I understand that concept, but after that, I have no idea where to go form here.

PLEASE HELP! I have my College Physics Midterm due by Sunday Night! This is one of the practice problems and I don't understand this concept and I just KNOW my teacher, there will be one of these on the midterm. Thank you everyone :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Have you heard of the 4 constant acceleration questions? As this is freefall, acceleration (g) is constant, therefore that's the route I'd go down.

Knights18 said:
Delta Y = 1/2(a)t^2
In the y direction, motion is completely described by s = ut + ½at^2
so why not use that?

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. This type of motion follows a curved path, called a parabola, due to the combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

How does gravity affect projectile motion?

Gravity is the force that pulls objects towards the center of the Earth. In projectile motion, gravity causes the object to accelerate downwards, changing its velocity and direction as it moves through the air.

How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

To calculate the trajectory of a projectile, you need to know the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. Using these values and the equations of motion, you can determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the projectile at any given time.

What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It depends on the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the acceleration due to gravity. The maximum range is achieved when the angle of launch is 45 degrees.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down. This is because air resistance acts in the opposite direction to the motion of the object. In some cases, air resistance can cause the projectile to deviate from its expected trajectory.