Tricky conceptual Projectile motion question

In summary: I think we lost OP a while back. *sob*, *sniff*.In summary, @jbriggs444 is trying to solve for two equations of motion, one for the ground bullet and one for the roof bullet. He is also trying to find an inequality that holds for both y and Y. If you turn off gravity, there is a delay before the bullets collide. If you turn gravity back on, that number does not change. @jbriggs444 needs help to solve for the inequality.
Rubberduck2005
Homework Statement
Two robbers one on the ground one on roof, point their guns at each other at fire simultaneously. Show that their bullets will collide unless the calculated collision point is underground, which is not allowed. The guy on the ground fires with a velocity v1 and the other at a velocity v2, show that the condition for colliding is v1+v2 > gd/v1sin(2Q) where g is 9.81ms^-2 and d is the horizontal between the two and Q is the angle of elevation of the line joining the two robbers.
Relevant Equations
g=9.81ms^-2 and Y(t) and X(t) is the motion of the robber on the roof whilst y(t) and x(t) are the robbers on the ground
So far all I have determined is the equations of motion for the two and that is as follows. It is trivial that y(t)=v1sin(Q)t -gt^2/2 and that x(t)=v2cos(Q)t. Now the angle that is anticlockwise from the negative horizontal of the robber is 90 - Q using basic trigonometry, using this we can determine that the velocity projected onto the plane will be the negative magnitude of v2cos(90 - Q)=v2sin(Q) similar logic is used to show that the projection on the x plane is -v2cos(Q) therefore I end up with X(t)=-v2cos(Q)t + d, Y(t)=-v2sin(Q)t -(gt^2)/2+h . From here I have just been fidgeting with concepts and equations and have made no progress in showing that the inequality is true help would be appreciated. Also note that h is the height

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
If you turn off gravity, how much time elapses before the bullets collide?
If you turn gravity back on, does that number change?

Likes PeroK
jbriggs444 I am really stuck on this one could you give me any more than that?

Rubberduck2005 said:
jbriggs444 I am really stuck on this one could you give me any more than that?
You have not answered either question yet.

Some observations
1) There are two conditions to determine when the bullets hit. You only need to use one of them.
2) There are two conditions to determine if the bullets hit above ground. You only need to use one of them.
3) d, h and Q are related so the final answer can look different depending on the decisions you make for 1 and 2. The final answer depends on d and Q which gives guidance for your choices for 1 and 2.
4) @jbriggs444 ‘s questions are trying to step you through this

Likes jbriggs444
jbriggs444 said:
If you turn off gravity, how much time elapses before the bullets collide?
If you turn gravity back on, does that number change?
So let's take that first question. If we turn off gravity, we have two guns shooting bullets on a collision course. Both bullets follow the line of sight path between the two shooters.

If we knew the length of the line of sight path and the rate at which the two bullets were approaching each other, we might be able to use those pieces of information.

This hint was free. The next one will cost you more effort than that required to declare "I am stuck".

Last edited:
Why can't one robber shoot the other in the head and the other shoot the first robber in the foot?

• Haha
Likes Steve4Physics
PeroK said:
Why can't one robber shoot the other in the head and the other shoot the first robber in the foot?
We‘re physicists. Assume that the robbers are point particles.

• Haha
Likes Steve4Physics
caz said:
We‘re physicists. Assume that the robbers are point particles.
Shouldn't that be gun-point particles?

Ok let's suppose for some reason you can't understand the hints you are given.

You have made some equations for ##x(t),X(t),y(t),Y(t)## though which seem correct to me. What is the relation that must hold between ##x(t)## and ##X(t)## and between ##y(t)## and ##Y(t)## so that the bullets meet at some time instance ##t_0##?

What additional inequalities must hold for ##y(t)## and ##Y(t)## if the collision is to happen above ground?

Delta2 said:
Ok let's suppose for some reason you can't understand the hints you are given.

You have made some equations for ##x(t),X(t),y(t),Y(t)## though which seem correct to me. What is the relation that must hold between ##x(t)## and ##X(t)## and between ##y(t)## and ##Y(t)## so that the bullets meet at some time instance ##t_0##?

What additional inequalities must hold for ##y(t)## and ##Y(t)## if the collision is to happen above ground?
This is all right, but this problem is perhaps better tackled by considering different frames of reference.

PeroK said:
This is all right, but this problem is perhaps better tackled by considering different frames of reference.
Yes ok but maybe the OP has the same weakness as me, that is he is used to think in the "absolute" ground frame or lab frame.

Also trying to make myself follow the OP's way rather than make him follow my own "clever shortcut" way that he might not understand :P.

Delta2 said:
Yes ok but maybe the OP has the same weakness as me, that is he is used to think in the "absolute" ground frame or lab frame.

Also trying to make myself follow the OP's way rather than make him follow my own "clever shortcut" way that he might not understand :P.
I think we lost OP a while back. *sob*, *sniff*.

Likes Delta2
Both bullets undergo equal acceleration so in the frame of the ground bullet the roof bullet approaches with constant velocity ##-\mathbf{v}_1 + \mathbf{v}_2##. The time until collision is therefore ##t_c = \dfrac{d}{(v_1 + v_2)\cos{Q}}## which must be less than the time ##t_* = \dfrac{2v_1 \sin{Q}}{g}## for the first bullet to hit the ground.

Likes PeroK and Delta2
ergospherical said:
Both bullets undergo equal acceleration [...]
Yup. That is where I was trying to lead OP.

Likes ergospherical

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity.

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the formula R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is reached when the vertical velocity of the object is equal to zero. This can be calculated using the formula h = (v2sin2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This can be accounted for by adjusting the initial velocity and angle of launch in the calculations.