Projectile Motion- Plane releases payload

In summary: I will use it on the next problem. As an aside, I don't know if you will see this, but I wanted to say that you are helpful and I appreciate your contributions to this forum.Thanks for your kind words. That's encouraging to hear. I've been around for a while, and I've been trying to help out in the intro physics forums for a few years now. It's a rewarding way to spend a few hours each week, and I've learned a few things myself along the way. I'm glad to have you here, and I hope you'll stick around for a while.
Catchingupquickly

Homework Statement

A pilot is attempting to deliver emergency food and first-aid supplies to an isolated northern community that has suffered severe flooding. The plane has a horizontal velocity of 1.4 10^2 km/h as it flies at an altitude of 1.80 m x 10^2. The community is situated on a dry patch of land that is about 72m x 72m.

a) If the supplies are released just as the plane flies directly overhead, will they touch down on land or in the water? Justify your response with calculations that show exactly where the package will land.

b) When should the supplies be released so that they touch down very close to the centre of the dry patch of land? Answer in terms of distance from the target, not time.

Homework Equations

## \Delta \vec d_v = \frac 1 2 \vec a \Delta t^2#### \Delta \vec d_h = \vec v_h \Delta t##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Plane is flying at 1.4 x 10^2 km/h = 140 km/h or 38.8 m/s (140km/h x 1000m /3600s)

Altitude is 1.8 x 10^2 meters = 180 meters.

How long until it hits the ground

## \Delta \vec d_v = \frac 1 2 \vec a \Delta t^2##

## 180m [down] = \frac 1 2 (-9.8 m/s^2 [down]) (\Delta t^2
\\ \Delta t = {\sqrt {\frac {180m} {4.9 m/s^2}}}
\\ \Delta t = 6.1 seconds##

Horizontal distance travelled

## \Delta \vec d_h = (38.8m/s [fwd]) (6.1s)
\\ ≈ 237 m##

Where's it going to hit?

72m x 72m = 5184 m

So if released directly overhead that's half-way

5184/2 = 2592 m

So it's going to drift another 237m [forward] therefore it will land at 2592 + 237 = 2829m

b) To release it so it hits dead centre, release at 2592 - 237 or at the 2355th meter.

Critique, feedback, and/or verbal abuse welcomed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Catchingupquickly said:
Where's it going to hit?

72m x 72m = 5184 m

So if released directly overhead that's half-way

5184/2 = 2592 m
What is this calculation? 72m x 72m would give an area in square meters. The plot of land is a square that is 72 m on each side.

Ah, yes... I see.

Ok, Plan B

Supplies will fall for 237m and need to hit the half way point of 72m area.

72/2 = 36m

237m - 36m = 201m

The plane should release the supplies 201 meters away from the target area to land in the middle.

Or am I still sniffing glue?

That's about right. The "1" is probably unjustified precision; What's the number of significant figures you can claim from your given data?

You should keep a few more decimal places in intermediate values in your calculations, and don't round anything until the end. Otherwise you'll find that rounding and truncation errors will creep into your significant figures when there's more than just one or two calculation steps.

Thank you for the feedback. The textbook uses the first decimal point in its answers. It's been rounding figures at each step in its examples all the way through so far. So I've been mostly following its example.

Catchingupquickly said:
Thank you for the feedback. The textbook uses the first decimal point in its answers. It's been rounding figures at each step in its examples all the way through so far. So I've been mostly following its example.
Hmph. Not a great example for a textbook to set :mad:

Yeah, it's been rough for a beginning physics student such as myself so far. Most of the lessons have been straightforward, but some of the examples have been explained poorly and some steps have been skipped for brevity. And it only gives one example and asks 1-2 practice questions with answers before it asks a question for submission that is related but may have a twist. And now this significant figures flap... well, thank you for the very useful advice.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path an object takes when it is thrown or launched into the air. This motion is the result of the combination of an initial horizontal velocity and a downward vertical acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is projectile motion affected by a plane releasing a payload?

When a plane releases a payload, the payload inherits the horizontal velocity of the plane and experiences the same downward vertical acceleration due to gravity. This results in a curved path that is influenced by both the initial velocity of the plane and the acceleration due to gravity.

3. How does the angle of release affect the projectile motion of the payload?

The angle of release determines the initial direction of the projectile's motion. A higher angle will result in a longer flight time and a higher maximum height, while a lower angle will result in a shorter flight time and a lower maximum height. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees.

4. How does air resistance impact the projectile motion of the payload?

The presence of air resistance can affect the trajectory of the projectile by slowing it down and causing it to follow a slightly different path. This is more noticeable for objects with a larger surface area, such as a parachute or a feather, compared to objects with a smaller surface area, such as a bullet.

5. What are the factors that influence the range of the projectile motion of the payload?

The range of the projectile motion is influenced by the initial velocity, the angle of release, the acceleration due to gravity, and air resistance. Other factors that may also affect the range include the shape and weight of the payload, as well as external factors such as wind and air density.