Fermi Energy of Liquid He3

by atomicpedals
Tags: energy, fermi, liquid
Share this thread:
atomicpedals
Feb19-12, 04:42 PM
P: 196
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The atom [itex]He^3[/itex] has spin 1/2 and is a fermion. The density of liquid [itex]He^3[/itex] is [itex]0.081g/cm^3[/itex] near absolute zero. Calculate the Fermi energy [itex]\epsilon_F[/itex] and the Fermi temperature [itex]T_F[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\epsilon_F = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m}(\frac{3 \pi^2 N}{V})^{2/3}[/itex]

[itex]T_F = \frac{\epsilon_F}{k}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

In the problem I'm given the density is [itex]0.081g/cm^3[/itex], which is my N/V. Assuming that m is the mass of [itex]He^3[/itex], then [itex]m = 5.008*10^{-24}g[/itex]. I should then be able to do a straight forward plug-n-chug; however my units don't work out as I get:

[itex]\epsilon_F = \frac{\hbar^2}{1.0016*10^{-23}g}(3 \pi^2 0.081g cm^{-3})^{2/3}=1.99*10^{-50} kg^{5/3} m^2 s^{-2}[/itex]

Clearly, this is not a unit of energy. What am I doing wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
atomicpedals
Feb19-12, 08:25 PM
P: 196
I need to use number density, rather than straight density. Which should take care of my problem.

Register to reply